Boundary Conditions and Normalization for Double Well Potential Eigenstates

• Thread starter bowlbase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary: You should not have three functions that are equal to each other, you should have three different functions, each valid in a particular range of ##x## for the solution.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

Consider the Hamiltonian ##H=-\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+V(x)##

##V(x) =\begin{cases} \infty & x < 0 ,x>\pi \\V_0 & \frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{a}{2} \geq x \leq \frac{\pi}{2}+\frac{a}{2} \\ 0 &elsewhere\end{cases}##

Use the boundary conditions at x=0 and x=##\pi## to set two of the constants and then use the boundary conditions of continuity of the wave functiond and the first derivative at ##x=\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{a}{2}## and when ##x=\frac{\pi}{2}+\frac{a}{2}## as well as normalization to solve for the lowest 4 eigenstates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So when Schrodinger's is zero: ##\frac{d^2\psi(x)}{dx^2}=E\psi(x)##

So I found that ##\psi_1(x)=Asin(\sqrt{E}x)+Bcos(\sqrt{E}x)##

Then when ##V(x)=V_0##:##\frac{d^2\psi(x)}{dx^2}+V_0\psi(x)=E\psi(x)##

Then if E>V: ##\psi_2(x)=Csin(\sqrt{E-V_0}x)+Dcos(\sqrt{E-V_0}x)##

Or if V>E: ##\psi_3(x)=Le^{\sqrt{V_0-E}x}+Fe^{-\sqrt{V_0-E}x}##

I know that if x=0 then A must be zero. I'm not sure what to do with pi though. Another student showed me that they had an additional equation for ##\psi## but I'm not sure where it came from:

##\psi(x)_4=Gsin(\sqrt{V_0-E}(x-\pi))+Hcos(\sqrt{V_0-E}(x-\pi))##

Before I can even give the second part of the question a shot I think I need to reduce the number of coefficients first. If the above equation is accurate (though I have no clue where it came from at the moment) then G would need to be 0 as well. That's 6 coefficients left.

From here I believe that ##\psi_1=\psi_2=\psi_3## (I can't guess about the fourth). I'm just not sure what my next steps should be to get rid of so many variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should not have three functions that are equal to each other, you should have three different functions, each valid in a particular range of ##x## for the solution. You essentially have the functional form for the solutions in the different parts already and you need to determine the constants. The big problem here is finding out the boundary conditions and adapting the constants to them. What boundary conditions will be valid at ##x = 0## and ##x = \pi##? What boundary conditions must be fulfilled at the boundary between the ##V = 0## and ##V = V_0## regions?

Orodruin said:
What boundary conditions will be valid at ##x = 0## and ##x = \pi##? What boundary conditions must be fulfilled at the boundary between the ##V = 0## and ##V = V_0## regions?

I guess I'm stuck at this then.

Well, I know that A must be zero so the function that describes the range where ## 0\leq x <
\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{a}{2} ## and ##\frac{\pi}{2}+\frac{a}{2} <x\leq \pi## is##\psi_1(x)=Bcos(\sqrt{E}x)##

For ##\psi_2## and ##\psi_3## I can't apply the same constraints because it is outside their range. However, I thought it would be true that they should be equal to each other since they describe the function in the same area of the well. And, I assumed that ##\psi_1## would be continuous at the barrier with 2 and 3.

I imagine that I should have something like B=C+D or L+F=B depending on the relationship of E and V.

The boundary condition at ##x = 0## (and ##x=L##) should be that the wave function is zero. This is essentially because the wave function has to be zero when the potential is infinite and it is continuous. Also note that you will have different constants in front of the solution for ##\psi_1## in the disjoint regions you described in the last post.

In the middle region you will have either ##\psi_2## or ##\psi_3## depending on the energy. The boundary conditions (apart from continuity) can be inferred from integrating the Schrödinger equation in a small (infinitesimal) region around the boundary.

Orodruin said:
The boundary condition at ##x = 0## (and ##x=L##) should be that the wave function is zero. This is essentially because the wave function has to be zero when the potential is infinite and it is continuous. Also note that you will have different constants in front of the solution for ##\psi_1## in the disjoint regions you described in the last post.

In the middle region you will have either ##\psi_2## or ##\psi_3## depending on the energy. The boundary conditions (apart from continuity) can be inferred from integrating the Schrödinger equation in a small (infinitesimal) region around the boundary.

I don't understand quite what mean by ##x=L##. L isn't a boundary but a coefficient.

Do I need to treat this as two different double wells since I don't know the energy?

I think I understand the equation the other student had. It is describing the function on the right side of the well. And the trig argument is ##x-\pi## so that it is equal to the coefficient at the "wall."
So ##\psi_1## should be ##\psi_{1a}(x)=Bcos(\sqrt{E}x)## on one side and ##\psi_{1b}(x)=Acos(\sqrt{E}(x-\pi)## on the other.

Then, I should take the derivative of 2 and 3 and set them equal to what other derivative? I guess I can't say that 1a or 1b are equal to 3 or 4 or else they must equal each other. I want to believe that 1a=2 and 1b=3 but I can't physically reconcile that.

Sorry, I have been lecturing on an oscillating string with length L all evening so it was a backbone reaction. By L I mean pi.

It's no problem. So, I guess I have the 4 equations that I should need, I'm just not sure about their relationships at the boundary conditions.

1. What are boundary conditions for double well potential eigenstates?

Boundary conditions refer to the conditions that must be satisfied by the wave function at the boundaries of a potential. For a double well potential, the boundary conditions are typically that the wave function must approach zero at infinity and must be continuous at the potential barrier.

2. Why are boundary conditions important for double well potential eigenstates?

Boundary conditions are important because they determine the allowed energy states of a system. In the case of a double well potential, the boundary conditions help to define the energy barrier between the two wells and therefore affect the stability and behavior of the system.

3. How are boundary conditions used to solve for eigenstates in a double well potential?

Boundary conditions are used in combination with the Schrödinger equation to solve for the energy eigenstates of a double well potential. By applying the boundary conditions, the wave function can be constrained to satisfy the conditions at the boundaries and the resulting solutions are the allowed energy eigenstates.

4. What is the normalization condition for double well potential eigenstates?

The normalization condition for double well potential eigenstates is that the integral of the squared magnitude of the wave function over all space must be equal to one. This ensures that the probability of finding the system in any state is equal to one.

5. How do boundary conditions and normalization affect the energy spectrum of a double well potential?

The boundary conditions and normalization affect the energy spectrum of a double well potential by determining the allowed energy states and their corresponding probabilities. The boundary conditions define the energy barrier between the two wells and the normalization condition ensures that the probability of finding the system in any state is one. Together, they help to determine the overall stability and behavior of the system.