1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doublet Slit problem

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A laser with wavelength d/8 is shining light on a double slit with slit separation 0.350 mm. This results in an interference pattern on a screen a distance L away from the slits. We wish to shine a second laser, with a different wavelength, through the same slits.

What is the wavelength lambda_2 of the second laser that would place its second maximum at the same location as the fourth minimum of the first laser, if d = 0.350 mm?

2. Relevant equations
    location of interference maxima: dsin(theta) = m(lambda1)
    location of interference minima: dsin(theta) = (m+.5)(lambda2)

3. The attempt at a solution

i know that sin(theta) has to be the same for both of them, so i set these equations equal to sin(theta):
    sin(theta) = (m*lambda1)/d
    sin(theta) = ((m +.5 )*lambda2)/d

therefore:
    (m*lambda1)/d = ((m +.5 )*lambda2)/d

d is given in the problem, so you know d for both sides. you also know that d/8 equals lambda one, so that can be solved. i have tried 2=m for lambda one because it is the second maxima and 3.5=m for lambda two (mastering physics told me to remember that the first minima is zero, not 1). i keep on getting the wrong answer though! please help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

What is the wavelength lambda_2 of the second laser that would place its
    second maximum at the same location as the fourth minimum of the first laser, if d = 0.350 mm?
    So the equation should be
    2/d*d/x = 3.5/d*d/8 .Solve for x, and then find the wavelength.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?