1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubling Up on Math

1. Nov 8, 2014 #1

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

I am double majoring in math and physics, as a result I have to take more math (I like math so it's okay). I am in my first semester as an undergrad, and they gave us placement tests. I placed out of calculus I, and was put into calculus II. I self-taught after I graduated and worked up to material in calc III and some of differential equations, but they didn't let me place out of calc II so I am stuck in a class that I find easy. Luckily the semester is coming to an end and I have maintained a 98% in the class. I really like the calc II professor and would love to take him again, and I found out he teaches Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, but he's teaching it in Spring and then not at all next year. So I want to talk to my adviser and schedule differential equations as well as Calc III (I'm already enrolled in Calc III) I feel I can handle it, because I know how to do double and triple integrals as well as take partial derivatives- I also know quite a lot (like a lot a lot) about vectors, and from my independent reading, material from calc III isn't really heavily used in diffy q's (ignoring vectors for linear algebra). So my question is, should I try to take differential equations next semester too? Or is too much information from calc III used that I would only ruin my gpa.

Sorry if I have bad English, it is not my first language.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2

esuna

Gold Member

Depends on what else you plan on taking, but generally, it's common for people to take calc III and diff eq at the same time. I did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook