Understanding Pseudo-Forces in Non-Inertial Frames

In summary: Coriolis force unless the block leaves the armIn summary, the block on the rotating arm is subject to four forces: gravity, centrifugal force, the normal component of contact force, and friction. The friction force is the one preventing the block from sliding down the arm. If the block does slide down, there would also be a Coriolis force acting on it.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
The picture shows a block on an arm. This arm is rotating with constant angular velocity. There is friction between the block and the arm, and the block is about to slide down.
Relevant Equations
Newton's equations
I know that, if my ##X## axis is aligned with the arm, there is friction pointing to ##O## and the ##x## component of the weight. Then, on the ##Y## axis, there is the normal force and the ##y## component of the weight.
Supposing that I am situated on the arm (non inertial frame), where is the centrifugal force pointing to? Because, if I think the problem as a spinning ball, the centrifugal force is aligned with the tension, so in this case this pseudo-force would be in the ##x## axis. But if I think as if I were on the arm, I think that I would feel pushed against the arm, so the centrifugal force would be in the ##y## axis.
What's the correct option?

Attachments

• 20191001_231005.jpg
    20191001_231005.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 112
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Like Tony Stark said:
Homework Statement: The picture shows a block on an arm. This arm is rotating with constant angular velocity. There is friction between the block and the arm, and the block is about to slide down.
Homework Equations: Newton's equations

I know that, if my ##X## axis is aligned with the arm, there is friction pointing to ##O## and the ##x## component of the weight. Then, on the ##Y## axis, there is the normal force and the ##y## component of the weight.
Supposing that I am situated on the arm (non inertial frame), where is the centrifugal force pointing to? Because, if I think the problem as a spinning ball, the centrifugal force is aligned with the tension, so in this case this pseudo-force would be in the ##x## axis. But if I think as if I were on the arm, I think that I would feel pushed against the arm, so the centrifugal force would be in the ##y## axis.
What's the correct option?
What is the axis of rotation?

If I understand the configuration correctly, the rotation is about the vertical axis through the central point. Is that correct? If so the centipetal force is horizontal toward the axis of rotation. So there is a normal component perpendicular to the arm and a component along the arm.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
If I understand the configuration correctly, the rotation is about the vertical axis through the central point. Is that correct? If so the centipetal force is horizontal toward the axis of rotation. So there is a normal component perpendicular to the arm and a component along the arm.

AM
It says that the arm rotates about a horizontal axis through ##O##

SammyS said:
What is the axis of rotation?
It says that the arm rotates about a horizontal axis through ##O##

Like Tony Stark said:
friction pointing to O
To O?
Like Tony Stark said:
I think that I would feel pushed against the arm, so the centrifugal force would be in the y axis.
The only reason you might feel that is because of gravity. If the rotation were in the horizontal plane the normal force would be vertical.

As I understand the setup, it is like a mouse-trap or a catapult (classic onager style like Wile E Coyote uses), but without angular acceleration. Just smooth rotation.

Adopting the rotating reference frame, one can identify four forces on the object: The downward force of gravity, the outward centrifugal force, the normal component of the contact force and an unknown frictional force.

Given that "the block is about to slide down", one can easily identify the direction in which the frictional force must be acting.

jbriggs444 said:
As I understand the setup, it is like a mouse-trap or a catapult (classic onager style like Wile E Coyote uses), but without angular acceleration. Just smooth rotation.

Adopting the rotating reference frame, one can identify four forces on the object: The downward force of gravity, the outward centrifugal force, the normal component of the contact force and an unknown frictional force.

Given that "the block is about to slide down", one can easily identify the direction in which the frictional force must be acting.
That's my problem. If I think it as a catapult, what would be the force that doesn't allow the block to slide? Because while the catapult is moving, the thing that is in the catapult won't be thrown away until the catapult stop. And if that's the case, the centrifugal force would be in the direction of the weight, like case 2 (##f*## is the centrifugal force)

Attachments

• 20191002_105443.jpg
    20191002_105443.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 20191002_105301.jpg
    20191002_105301.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 105
Like Tony Stark said:
If I think it as a catapult, what would be the force that doesn't allow the block to slide?
Friction. Same as any other problem involving an inclined plane. If it is about to slide down, the rotation rate cannot be high enough to fling it outward.

Edit: Looking at your drawing, you have the weight force drawn normal to the plane. Why is that?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
To O?

The only reason you might feel that is because of gravity. If the rotation were in the horizontal plane the normal force would be vertical.
I see... so the pseudo-force is the centrifugal force. But if the block starts sliding, would it feel also Coriolis force? Because it would have velocity relative to the non inertial frame

Like Tony Stark said:
I see... so the pseudo-force is the centrifugal force. But if the block starts sliding, would it feel also Coriolis force? Because it would have velocity relative to the non inertial frame
Yes, but more specifically, because its relative velocity has a component normal to the axis of rotation of the frame.

1. What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects moving in a curved path. It is caused by the inertia of the object trying to continue moving in a straight line.

2. Is centrifugal force a real force?

No, centrifugal force is not a real force. It is an apparent force that arises in a non-inertial reference frame, such as a rotating frame of reference. In an inertial reference frame, the object in motion experiences only the centripetal force.

3. How is centrifugal force different from centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the real force that acts on an object moving in a curved path, towards the center of the curve. Centrifugal force is the apparent force that seems to push the object away from the center of the curve.

4. Can centrifugal force be measured?

No, centrifugal force cannot be measured directly. It is a mathematical concept used to explain the motion of objects in a rotating frame of reference. However, its effects can be observed and measured indirectly.

5. How does centrifugal force affect objects in motion?

Centrifugal force tends to make objects in motion move away from the center of the rotating frame of reference. It is often used in designing machines such as centrifuges and amusement park rides.