Doubt about flourine and bromine

• Thread starter nithin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt
In summary, iodine exists, but flourine does not. It appears that the electronegativity of flourine might be a factor in why it does not exist.
nithin
hey guys , as i was reading some chemistry , i came to know about this weird thing :"iodine" (I3)- ion exists but "flourine "(F3)- does not exist... it seems that there are 2reasons for this ... i searched the internet and it seems tohave nothing ans my textbook do not also have anything on it ... pls help . intially i thought that the electronegativity of flourine might have to do smth with it...

Physics news on Phys.org
well that's because of the relatively smaller size of fluoride ion F 1- that does not allow the addition of another electron .

well that's because the relatively smaller size of fluoride 1- ion does not allow the addition of another electron.

Part of the reason that I3- exists because iodine is a much larger atom than fluorine and thus the central iodine atom has more "room" than a fluorine atom would. (Edit: as deepakalways points out...but it's not that simple)

Secondly, if you draw the lewis structure for I3-, you'll see that the central iodine atom does not obey the octect rule. It has 5 electron domains (10 electrons). This means that its d orbitals are participating in its bonding. Fluroine is only in the second period and since there are no "2d" orbitals, it cannot form the F3- ion. If we use this same logic than both Cl3- and Br3- should exist because the central atoms in those ions would utilize their 3d and 4d orbitals, respectively.

I have read that the Br3- and I3- exist but I have never heard of the Cl3- ion. This is probably similar to F3- in regards to the size of the atom. I think that the chlorine atom is too small for Cl3- to exist. I am not entirely sure though- you'll have to look that one up for me.

Both Br3- and I3- only can exist in solution as they are fairly unstable. They exist in equilibirum when Br2/I2 and Br-/I- are mixed. For example:

I2 (purple) + I- (colorless) <--> I3- (brown)

That is why tincture of iodine is brown because it is a mixture of I2 and KI.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between fluorine and bromine?

Fluorine and bromine are both elements in the halogen group on the periodic table. The main difference between them is their atomic number and mass. Fluorine has an atomic number of 9 and a mass of 19, while bromine has an atomic number of 35 and a mass of 80. They also have different physical and chemical properties, such as melting and boiling points.

2. Can fluorine and bromine be found in nature?

Yes, both fluorine and bromine can be found in nature. Fluorine is the 13th most abundant element in the Earth's crust and can be found in minerals such as fluorite and cryolite. Bromine is also found in the Earth's crust and can be found in seawater and salt deposits.

3. What are the uses of fluorine and bromine?

Fluorine and bromine have various industrial and commercial uses. Fluorine is commonly used in toothpaste, water fluoridation, and refrigerants. Bromine is used in flame retardants, pesticides, and pharmaceuticals.

4. What are the health effects of fluorine and bromine exposure?

Fluorine and bromine can be toxic in high concentrations. Fluorine can cause fluorosis, a condition where excess fluoride is deposited in the bones, leading to weakened bones and teeth. Bromine can also cause health issues such as skin irritation and respiratory problems if inhaled in large amounts.

5. How are fluorine and bromine used in scientific research?

Fluorine and bromine are used in various scientific research studies, particularly in the field of chemistry. Fluorine is commonly used in organic chemistry reactions, while bromine is used in the synthesis of pharmaceuticals and other organic compounds. They are also used as markers in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.