1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubt about flourine and bromine

1. Jul 20, 2006 #1
    hey guys , as i was reading some chemistry , i came to know about this weird thing :"iodine" (I3)- ion exists but "flourine "(F3)- does not exist... it seems that there are 2reasons for this ... i searched the internet and it seems tohave nothing ans my textbook do not also have anything on it ... pls help . intially i thought that the electronegativity of flourine might have to do smth with it........

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2006 #2
    well that's because of the relatively smaller size of fluoride ion F 1- that does not allow the addition of another electron .

4. Jul 21, 2006 #3
    well thats because the relatively smaller size of fluoride 1- ion does not allow the addition of another electron.

5. Jul 21, 2006 #4
    Part of the reason that I3- exists because iodine is a much larger atom than fluorine and thus the central iodine atom has more "room" than a fluorine atom would. (Edit: as deepakalways points out...but it's not that simple)

Secondly, if you draw the lewis structure for I3-, you'll see that the central iodine atom does not obey the octect rule. It has 5 electron domains (10 electrons). This means that its d orbitals are participating in its bonding. Fluroine is only in the second period and since there are no "2d" orbitals, it cannot form the F3- ion. If we use this same logic than both Cl3- and Br3- should exist because the central atoms in those ions would utilize their 3d and 4d orbitals, respectively.

I have read that the Br3- and I3- exist but I have never heard of the Cl3- ion. This is probably similar to F3- in regards to the size of the atom. I think that the chlorine atom is too small for Cl3- to exist. I am not entirely sure though- you'll have to look that one up for me.

Both Br3- and I3- only can exist in solution as they are fairly unstable. They exist in equilibirum when Br2/I2 and Br-/I- are mixed. For example:

I2 (purple) + I- (colorless) <--> I3- (brown)

That is why tincture of iodine is brown because it is a mixture of I2 and KI.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?