Dealing with Doubt: How to Motivate Yourself Despite Insecurity

• Thread starter Jammin_James
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt
In summary: I still struggle with this. I don't know what to do.In summary, this person struggles with coming up with a good motivation to continue with their degree, and finds it difficult to do so when they don't feel challenged.
Jammin_James
This is kind of an odd post. To be honest, I don't really expect to see many responses, but I'm going to post it anyway.

Back when I first started getting my degree, I wanted to prove something to myself. I had some self-esteem issues, a bit of an inferiority complex. I just needed to prove to myself that I wasn't as dumb as I thought I was, I guess. Now that I've gotten to where I've gotten that doubt has kind of... washed away.

Now I know that what I have to study won't be easy material to tackle, but the fact that I think I can tackle it brings any motivation I have to a halt. It's very frustrating.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or any solutions to it.

I know how narcissistic this may sound, but I'm not trying sound like a hot shot. By no means am I claiming to be better than anyone here. In all honesty, I think anyone can do anything they want, people just doubt themselves (much like myself haha).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can find some other motivation now.
For example, having gotten really interested in what you are studying, or being almost done, or finishing will give you good prospects.

Otherwise, you could try increasing the challenge; for example, taking harder courses or trying to get a better understanding than strictly required.

I've had that problem before, knowing i can do something and then just... not being able to go and actually do it. It really is a problem of needing a 2nd source of motivation at the least because not all things in life you're going to see as "i don't know if i can do this". Not all things in life are challenges... hell taking out the trash isn't a monumental achievement but you just have to do it! :)

Jammin_James said:
This is kind of an odd post. To be honest, I don't really expect to see many responses, but I'm going to post it anyway.

Back when I first started getting my degree, I wanted to prove something to myself. I had some self-esteem issues, a bit of an inferiority complex. I just needed to prove to myself that I wasn't as dumb as I thought I was, I guess. Now that I've gotten to where I've gotten that doubt has kind of... washed away.

Now I know that what I have to study won't be easy material to tackle, but the fact that I think I can tackle it brings any motivation I have to a halt. It's very frustrating.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or any solutions to it.

I know how narcissistic this may sound, but I'm not trying sound like a hot shot. By no means am I claiming to be better than anyone here. In all honesty, I think anyone can do anything they want, people just doubt themselves (much like myself haha).

Well, I don't think you can do it! I think you're going to fail!

(did that help any? :wink:)

I still struggle with this, and have since grade school. I skipped 6th grade, and things were still too easy. Then I skipped 9th grade, and things were too simple. Then they put me in AP classes, and things were still too simple. See, I was lucky enough to live with my grandfather, who loved math, science, and literature, which means I was around these things all my life, not just a few hours out of any day at school.

Now I'm in college, and I'm on my third major. I pick something I'm interested in, but the degree plans are just so incredibly boring. I originally went the linguistics path, but the "due diligence" was torture. I want to study the language, not "influential Native-American texts" or "ground breaking African-American novels". Now, I'm studying Mech. Eng. and I'm hoping to go the astrophysics route (or maybe even nuclear). This one seems like it will stick. Math and Physics come easy to me, but they are also counter-intuitive, which is enough to keep me interested.

What I'm trying to do with this anecdote (besides toot my own horn) is highlight the importance of will power and choosing a career you can get so interested in that really terrible aspects of college won't bother you. You're intelligent, but you will have to come to terms with the fact that colleges don't care about that. You're still going to have to get "X" amount of credits, even if that means wasting your time and money by taking courses you could do without. It's "grunt work", they say. And if what you expect to be the end result of your stay in college means enough to you, then you will find the will power to get through it.

I'm turning 24 tomorrow. I'll be graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Mech. Eng. when I'm 27. Learn from my mistakes.

Brilliant! said:
I'm turning 24 tomorrow. I'll be graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Mech. Eng. when I'm 27. Learn from my mistakes.

Bah, I'm 26, and I've only got 49 credits under my belt after this semester. I've got a good 3 years, minimum, before I get my Bachelor's.

We're still young!

1. How can I overcome self-doubt and motivate myself?

To overcome self-doubt and motivate yourself, it is important to first acknowledge and accept your doubts. Then, focus on your strengths and positive qualities. Set realistic goals and create a plan to achieve them. Surround yourself with supportive and encouraging people. Practice self-care and positive self-talk. Remember that it is okay to make mistakes and use them as an opportunity to learn and grow.

2. What are some techniques for managing doubt?

Some techniques for managing doubt include reframing negative thoughts, breaking goals into smaller, achievable steps, setting deadlines and holding yourself accountable, seeking feedback and constructive criticism, and practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation.

3. How can I stay motivated when facing setbacks or failures?

In times of setbacks or failures, it is important to maintain a growth mindset and view them as opportunities to learn and improve. Reflect on what went wrong and how you can do better in the future. Seek support from others and remind yourself of your strengths and past successes. Don't be too hard on yourself and remember that perseverance is key.

4. Can doubt be beneficial?

Yes, doubt can be beneficial as it can prompt self-reflection and lead to personal growth. Doubt can also serve as a reminder to stay humble and open-minded, and to continually strive for improvement. However, it is important to not let doubt consume you and hinder your progress.

5. How can I help others who are struggling with doubt?

To help others who are struggling with doubt, be a supportive listener and offer empathy and understanding. Help them identify their strengths and encourage them to set realistic goals. Be a source of positivity and remind them of their past successes. Offer to help them create a plan to overcome their doubts and stay motivated. Most importantly, be patient and non-judgmental.