What Are the Color Codes Used in Computers for Outputting Videos?

In summary, a digital to analog converter (DAC) is a device that takes a digital signal and converts it into an analog signal. There are many types of DACs, but they all do the same thing- convert digital data into an analog form that can be displayed on an electronic device. Most modern cameras, camcorders, and video capture devices use a DAC to convert light into a digital format.
challarao
Hi!
I am so fascinating about the computers and digital technology...
If we consider a number or a letter they have specific digital codes and compilers convert them into numbers or letters for humans...
In computers each and every signal is digitalized,in that case videos are also digitalized..
I've been puzzling how they are coded,suppose in a video file a person wears a red shirt and he has white skin..then in order to output the signal to the monitor...are there any colour codes in computers to send output...?
SOrry for any mistakes I made..
Please explain me if you know these aspects...
Any help or suggestion or weblink highly appreciated...
Thanxxx..waiting for replies

Computer science news on Phys.org
I can't quite understand your question. However colors are coded by describing them as the sum of three primaries (blue, green, and red). For each primary the intensity is then digitized and these three numbers describe the color at each pixel of the image.

The above is the basic description for a bitmap code. In practice there are methods to condense the data, using correlation between neighboring pixels.

Colors are generally described with a set of 32 bits segmented into 8 bits per color component Red, Green, Blue and Alpha.

So for every dot on your screen there is a code like:

A blu-ray sized movie with a 1920x1080 resolution will have 2,073,600 pixels. At 32 bits each that is 66,355,200. At 24 frames per second that is 1536 Megabits per second.

However, Bluray players only operate up to about 40 Megabits per second for video.

Luckily, a good deal of the data we see on our screen is redundant. The way they can cram all of that information into such a small stream (Nearly 40x smaller than the raw format) is through data compression algorithms that take advantage of certain kinds of redundancy in the images and video they compress.

Last edited:
Cool, I have never had this explained to me before. Interesting to know.

I didn't understand your reply!
what is "54 68 65 20 61 74 68 65 69 73 74 73 20 72 69 6f 74 65 64 20 61 66 74 65 72 20 74 68 65 20 44 75 74 63 68 20 70 75 62 6c 69 73 68 65 64 20 61 20 62 6c 61 6e 6b 20 63 61 72 74 6f 6f 6e 2e
ΘΤ "

DavidSnider said:
Colors are generally described with a set of 32 bits segmented into 8 bits per color component Red, Green, Blue and Alpha.
Alpha is a transparency value used when combining multiple images (how much of one image shows through another):

24 bit RGB color uses 8 bits per color as mentioned, and is the most common method used on PC's.

Many PC video cards also support 30 bit RGB color at 10 bits per color, but with a limited selection of resolutions, and generally digital monitors don't support 10 bits per color (just CRT and some digital projectors). Few PC games support 30 bit color, one that I remember was Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness made back in 2003.

36 bit color is used in digital cinema, but I'm not sure if that's RGB.

48 bit RGB color, at 16 bits per color is supported on some graphic workstations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema

rcgldr said:
Alpha is a transparency value used when combining multiple images (how much of one image shows through another):

24 bit RGB color uses 8 bits per color as mentioned, and is the most common method used on PC's.

Many PC video cards also support 30 bit RGB color at 10 bits per color, but with a limited selection of resolutions, and generally digital monitors don't support 10 bits per color (just CRT and some digital projectors). Few PC games support 30 bit color, one that I remember was Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness made back in 2003.

36 bit color is used in digital cinema, but I'm not sure if that's RGB.

48 bit RGB color, at 16 bits per color is supported on some graphic workstations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema
Thanks for replies
A small tag question
If digital signals of a video are transferring through one computer to another computer the second computer can decode the signals and process them.But when this transfer is between analogous and digital how can computer convert them.Is there any decoding of voltage differences from analogous circuits.
Especially I am asking about analogous to digital converter programs..are they exist.?

challarao said:
analog to digital converter programs..are they exist.?
Yes, most modern cameras, camcorders, and video capture devices in genernal, convert light into some type of digital format, using various types of components that convert the analog intensity of light for each color into some number of bits of data per color.

Older camcorders (Betacam, Betamax, VHS, Hi-8) converted the analog inputs into analog signals on a magnetic tape, without a conversion into a digital format. Fully analog TV's also converted received analog signals into analog levels of brightness for each color for display. The only digital aspects to these devices were the timings for sweep rates and refresh rates.

There were also analog computers around 40 to 50 years ago that could solve simple feedback type differential equations using components that could integrate in addition to being able to add, subtract, multiply, divide voltage levels. These were typically range limited to +/- 100 volts and only accurate to about .1 volt.

1. What is the role of digital technology in creating doubt?

Digital technology can contribute to doubt in various ways. For example, the constant influx of information and the ability to manipulate images and videos can make it difficult to discern what is true and what is not. Additionally, the speed and ease of sharing information can lead to false or misleading information spreading quickly, causing doubt and confusion.

2. How can we protect ourselves from the doubt created by digital technology?

One way to protect ourselves is to practice critical thinking skills and fact-check information before believing or sharing it. It is also important to be aware of our own biases and the potential for manipulation in digital media. Using reputable sources and being cautious of clickbait and sensationalized headlines can also help prevent doubt in digital technology.

3. Are there any benefits to the doubt created by digital technology?

While doubt can be frustrating and confusing, it can also be beneficial in promoting critical thinking and encouraging people to question information and seek out the truth. Doubt can also lead to advancements and improvements in digital technology as companies and developers work to address and improve upon the issues that contribute to doubt.

4. How can we navigate the constant changes and updates in digital technology without feeling overwhelmed?

Staying informed and up-to-date on the latest advancements and changes in digital technology can help alleviate some of the feelings of overwhelm. Additionally, setting boundaries and limiting our consumption of digital media can help us manage our exposure and prevent feeling overwhelmed. It is also important to prioritize our mental health and take breaks from technology when needed.

5. What measures can be taken to combat the spread of fake news and misinformation through digital technology?

One way to combat fake news and misinformation is to educate ourselves and others on how to identify reliable sources and fact-check information. Social media platforms and search engines can also implement algorithms and policies to prevent the spread of false information. Additionally, individuals can be more mindful of what they share and take responsibility for verifying information before sharing it with others.