Doubt in Love's hypothesis . Please help.

1. Doubt in Love's hypothesis..... Please help.......

"Normal to the reference surface of the beam remain normal to it and undergo no change in length during deformation"
    What does this mean? please help.......

2. jcsd
  3. Mapes

Mapes 2,532
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Doubt in Love's hypothesis..... Please help.......

That's not a sentence as you've written it, so I did some searching. Do you mean "Normals [i.e., normal vectors] to the reference surface of the beam remain normal to it and undergo no change in length during deformation"? It's not a hypothesis, it's an assumption used to simplify elasticity problems. And assumptions, like models, are often strictly wrong but useful.

4. Re: Doubt in Love's hypothesis..... Please help.......

Ya ya Love's assumption. I am extremely sorry pal. I understood first 3 this one I can't....... Plz help

5. Re: Doubt in Love's hypothesis..... Please help.......

Does it mean that deformation is not significant enough to affect the normal?

6. brewnog

brewnog 2,791
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure I understand (your English is a little muddled!), but how's this:

If you apply a force in order to bend a beam, an assumption is made when you perform your calculations. You assume that the force you apply remains normal to the beam's axis (perpendicular to the length of the beam), and that the beam doesn't change in length under deformation (when it's bent).

7. Mapes

Mapes 2,532
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It means that transverse shear in the beam is neglected.

8. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,087
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?