1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubt in magnetism

1. Jun 21, 2007 #1
    folks,
    in higher secondary books i came across magnet's length that is bar magnet's length is given as " 2l" that is 2 multiplied by l. my question is " why the lenght is not referred as 'l' the usual way of referring length.
    please clarify in layman terms.
    thanks in advance
    logesh aravindan

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2007 #2
    i am a poor one in english but iff i understund : they make that in order to have a simple formula ;because(may be) they will divid by 2 so in the place to have this ugly (l/2) they just have this beautiful (l). and i recall that in the baccalaureat exam of this year ,they gave us (2l) in order to pertutbate you .

4. Jun 25, 2007 #3
    i dont understand please clarify lucidly

5. Jun 25, 2007 #4
    I would have to see the book, but I'm assuming the l is refering to the lenght of a single pole, so the total length of the magnet is 2l. That is l of the north and l of the south combined.

CraigD, AMInstP
    www.cymek.com

6. Jun 25, 2007 #5

Mentz114

Gold Member

arkhammedos is right. Often the length is given as '2l' so the 2 will cancel out and leave a cleaner expression.

It is like choosing radius and not diameter so we can write [tex]A=\pi r^2[/tex] and not [tex] A=\frac{\pi D^2}{4}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?