How Does ID3 Algorithm Determine the Root Node in Decision Trees?

In summary, ID3 induction tree is a machine learning algorithm used for decision tree classification that works by recursively splitting the dataset based on the attribute that best separates the data into different classes. Its main advantage is its simplicity and ability to handle both numerical and categorical data, as well as providing easily interpretable results. However, its limitations include only being able to handle discrete data and tending to overfit the training data. ID3 induction tree also handles missing values by ignoring them during attribute selection or replacing them with the most common value. It cannot be used for regression tasks, and other decision tree algorithms should be used instead.
demander
If this is in the wrong place please move it, i was in doubt where to post this

My problem is the following
I Have to create an induction tree able to calssify the attributes to this table, being y the class and A,B,C the Attributes,
this tree shall be constructed from ID3 Algorithm
ID3 uses information theory to determine the most informative attribute. from the branches in each step

A |B |C |Y
0 |0 |0 |0
0 |1 |0 |1
1 |0 |0 |1
1 |1 |1 |0

So ID3 Algorithm as the principle that the root of the tree must be the one with more information Gain obtain from conjunct entropy here are the formulas needed
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/5199/entropyw.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9562/gain.jpg

So Starting with class entropy or conjunct entropy, there are only two classes possible two 0's or 1's, the Entropy in this case will become
E(C)=-2/4Log2(2/4)-2/4Log2(2/4)=-1/2x(-1)-1/2x(-1)=1

So now calculating the gain for each possible root
Gain(A)=1-(1/2x1+1/2x1)=0
1/2 because there are half probabilities to be 0 or 1, and 1 because the entropy of class from A is a maximum, since if A is 0 the class can be 0 or 1 but if A is ! the lass can be 0 or 1
doing the same to Gain of B and C i Got:
gain(A)=0
gain(b)=0
gain(c)=0,69 this is bigger causeif Cis 0 the class has more probability of being 1 than 0

if C has a major gain this is the root branch
so
the tree should become/start like this from ID3 algorithm
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/8645/initialtree.jpg

So here is Where i Got Stucked Cause the second Branch should be the attribute A or B with more information gain, but if A or B are 1 then class is 1, but if is A or B are 0, we can have Class 1 or 0 again
so for second Branch the Gain(a)=gain(b)=0 no information gain
so what should i choose for the second branch?
i think the most probably is the algorithm choosing the value with most probability cutting the tree in the second branch so since the probability of being 1 is major maybe he finish the Decision tree like this:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4914/finaltree.jpg

So am I right, or despite don't have any gaining ID3 follows any of the two branches resulting in a complete tree like this?
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/7097/completetree.jpg

So which tree is more plausible from ID3 Algorithm? Can someone help me in this exercise?
Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
!</code>ID3 Algorithm uses a concept of information gain to decide which attribute to choose for the root node of the decision tree. Information gain is calculated by comparing the entropy before and after the split of data on the basis of an attribute. In your example, the entropy of the class (Y) is 1. The entropy of A, B and C is 0. Thus, the information gain for A, B and C is 0. Since all three attributes have the same information gain, ID3 algorithm will pick the one with the highest value based on the probabilities. In this case, C has the highest value (0.69), so it will be chosen as the root node. From there, the tree will be built in a similar manner. For each branch, the best attribute will be chosen based on the information gain. The final tree will look something like this: <code> C / \ 0/ \1 A B / \ / \ 0 1 0 1 Y=0 Y=1 Y=1 Y=0 </code>Hope this helps!

1. What is ID3 induction tree and how does it work?

ID3 induction tree is a machine learning algorithm used for decision tree classification. It works by recursively splitting the dataset based on the attribute that best separates the data into different classes.

2. What is the main advantage of using ID3 induction tree?

The main advantage of ID3 induction tree is its simplicity and ability to handle both numerical and categorical data. It also provides easily interpretable results in the form of a tree structure.

3. What are the limitations of ID3 induction tree?

One of the main limitations of ID3 induction tree is that it can only handle discrete data. It also tends to overfit the training data, which can lead to poor performance on unseen data.

4. How does ID3 induction tree handle missing values?

ID3 induction tree handles missing values by ignoring the instances with missing values during the attribute selection process. It also provides an option to replace the missing values with the most common value for that attribute.

5. Can ID3 induction tree be used for regression tasks?

No, ID3 induction tree is specifically designed for classification tasks and cannot be used for regression tasks. For regression, other decision tree algorithms such as CART or C4.5 should be used.