Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubt on one Maxwell relation

1. Jan 8, 2009 #1

In thermodynamics, we always need to use exact differential relations to find the so called Maxwell relations. For a function of x and y, z=z(x,y)

if dz = M(x,y)dx + N(x, y)dy

the complete conditon for above equation to be hold is

[tex]\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial N}{\partial x}[/tex]

Now, let see one of the relation on Helmholtz free energy

[tex]dF = -SdT - PdV[/tex]

apply the condition mentioned above, we get

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V = \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T[/tex]

Well, in many materials (including some textbooks), they like to write it

[tex]\left ( {\partial T\over \partial p} \right )_{V,N} = \left ( {\partial V\over \partial S} \right )_{T,N}[/tex]

I don't know why they like to inverse those relation! What interesting is only this relations I found to be in reverse order, the others Maxwells relations are just fine!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's absolutely no difference; the reciprocals of Maxwell relations are also valid. We can also get to this one by looking at the potential [itex]H=E+PV[/itex] rather than [itex]F=E-TS[/itex]. It is odd that some textbooks would switch just one without comment. It would be a good teaching opportunity to explain that this is OK.
  4. Jan 13, 2009 #3
    this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exact_differential#Reciprocity_Relation
    might be enlightening. I know it helped me. At the school I go to, most of the engineers or physics majors (same math requirement more or less) I have talked to don't really know about these rules. I'm pretty sure that means we were never taught them. It's kind of annoying.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?