1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubt!Prove the term is irrational!

1. Mar 16, 2013 #1

vio

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that any number with zeroes standing in all decimal places numbered 10^n and only in these places is irrational?(yeah,its the easiet question in my list,but im still not sure about it)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    when i think about it,since the number of zeroes dont follow a definite pattern,i mean the same pattern,it will be difficult to represent it as a rational,since one never knows the where the next zero is ,or how its repeatin??..since it not periodic,it must be irrational..
    Well,,when i said that to myself,it seems like i waz just reading out sumthn from a text,i still didnt understand it well enough or sumthin..i know its very basic,but can someone explain it in simpler language?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

u haz allreddy said everythin it cnt be peridic, cn it? all rationals haz peridcic expanshions. Maybe I forgot to misspell something there, sorry.

4. Mar 16, 2013 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fantastical reply, Dick !!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Mar 16, 2013 #4

vio

thanx!

Ohk...Thanx guyz... :)
    (still somthings buggin me though )

6. Mar 16, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe just spelling out why it can't be periodic? If it's rational and it contains a zero digit that zero digit will repeat at some period p once you get into the repeating part. Pick n so that 10^n>p. Then the digits between 10^n and 10^(n+1) will have no zero digits. But there's more than p of them. So it can't be periodic.

7. Mar 16, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks. It was hard to resist...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted