Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubt regarding open set

1. Aug 11, 2012 #1
    Sir , we say that in an open set U for every point (x0,y0) there exists some r>0 such that B((x0,y0),r) lies in U.. where B stands for open disk around (x0,y0) with radiuus r...

My doubt is does there exist some "p" such that closed disk around (x0,y0) with radius "p" lies in the open set U...is this possible for all open sets..or not at all...please clarify me....

Thanking You.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, what you say is indeed true. And it's not hard to prove:

Given an open set U and a point x in U. We can find an open ball [itex]B(x,r)[/itex] in U. But then the closed ball [itex]B^*(x,r/2)[/itex] is easily seen to be a subset of [itex]B(x,r)[/itex] and thus of U.

So indeed, for every open U and every x in U, we can find a closed ball [itex]B^*(x,p)\subseteq U[/itex].

I have to warn you: this is true in metric spaces. But it is not necessarily true in topological spaces (if you replace "ball" with a suitable other notion).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook