Finding x in Parallel Lines Geometry Problem

In summary, the problem asks to find x, given that L1 and L2 are parallel. Using the equation Σleft∠ = Σright∠, the attempt at a solution results in x=2°. However, the given choices for x include minutes, which may be a typo in the book. It is possible that a simple change to the coefficients or constants in the diagram could lead to the desired answer. However, there is some doubt about the validity of the problem and the book as a whole.
david3305

Homework Statement

Find x. L1 and L2 are parallel

ex79.png

choices:
a)2°40'
b)2°30'
c)2°45'
d)2°15'
e)2°20'

Homework Equations

Σleft∠ = Σright∠

The Attempt at a Solution

2x+1+4x-1+4x-1 = 2x-1+2x+4+3x+2
10x-1=7x+5
3x=6
x=2°

Not sure how the answers include minutes '

Maybe I'm overlooking something?

Attachments

• ex79.png
    ex79.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 738
Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same result. Maybe an error in the book.

Yeah, that's what I think too. I'll leave this open just in case anybody has anything to add. Maybe another way of solving?

Quite possibly they made a typo when labelling the figure. You might be able to make a simple change to one of the coefficients or constants in the diagram to have it give their desired answer. :smile:

Likes david3305
Is this for real? I've seen other problems with a similar sort of handwriting style, and wrong answers which are said to be from the mysterious "book." So what exactly is the "book?" and why do people post this sort of thing? Sorry if I am too cynical, but I could almost believe this is some kind of joke.

Lol. I felt doubt about this because most of the problems i have solved had a correct answer in the choices.

1. What is "doubt with geometry problem"?

"Doubt with geometry problem" refers to a feeling of uncertainty or confusion when faced with a geometry problem, where one is not sure how to approach or solve the problem.

2. How can I overcome doubt with geometry problem?

One way to overcome doubt with geometry problem is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help clarify the steps needed to solve the problem. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also provide guidance and support.

3. Why do I feel doubt with geometry problem?

There are various reasons one may feel doubt with a geometry problem. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept, unfamiliarity with the problem-solving method, or simply feeling overwhelmed by the complexity of the problem.

4. How can I improve my geometry problem-solving skills?

One way to improve geometry problem-solving skills is through practice. The more problems you solve, the more familiar you become with the concepts and methods. Additionally, seeking feedback and identifying areas of weakness can also help improve your skills.

5. Is it normal to have doubt with geometry problem?

Yes, it is normal to experience doubt with geometry problems. Math can be challenging, and it is common to encounter difficulties with certain concepts or problems. The important thing is to not give up and keep practicing and seeking help when needed.