Doubtful I'll contribute money to this forum again.

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
In summary, the study found no significant difference in facial shape between children who were exposed to marijuana in the womb and those who were not.
Holocene
I know, one contribution won't be missed. But that's not the point.

After simply posting information contained within a study, that found marijuana not to present a significant road hazard:

The post was deleted.
I was accused of "condoning" illegal drug use.
I recived an "infraction".

Is this really how this forum operates? Citing sources that might be in opposition with someones else's view, is not allowed?

I honestly cannot believe moderators chose to delete information, simply on the basis that it presented an alternative point of view. Again, where in that link was marijuana use "condoned"?

I wonder if this post will be deleted too...:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you read your infraction, your post was deleted because it was not to a reputable source. That we don't condone the use of drugs was an FYI, not the reason for the infraction.

Evo said:
If you read your infraction, your post was deleted because it was not to a reputable source. That we don't condone the use of drugs was an FYI, not the reason for the infraction.

What constitutes a "reputable" source?

The link I posted cited numerous sources, but I guess none of the following are reputable?

D. Tashkin et al, Effects of Habitual Use of Marijuana and/or Cocaine on the Lung, in Research Findings on Smoking of Abused Substances, NIDA Research Monograph 99 (1990).

Paul Donald, Advanced malignancy in the young marijuana smoker, Adv Exp Med Biol 288:33-56 (1991); FM Taylor, Marijuana as a potential respiratory tract carcinogen, South Med Journal 81:1213-6 (1988).

D. Tashkin, Respiratory Status of 74 Habitual Marijuana Smokers, Chest 78 #5: 699-706 (Nov. 1980).

T-C. Wu, D. Tashkin, B. Djahed and J.E. Rose, Pulmonary hazards of smoking marijuana as compared with tobacco, New England Journal of Medicine 318: 347-51 (1988).

D. Tashkin et al, Effects of Habitual Use of Marijuana and/or Cocaine on the Lung, loc.cit.

Herbert Moskowitz, Marihuana and Driving, Accident Analysis and Prevention 17#4: 323-45 (1985).

Carl Soderstrom et al., Marijuana and Alcohol Use Among 1023 Trauma Patients, Archives of Surgery, 123: 733-7 (1988).

Dale Gieringer, Marijuana, Driving, and Accident Safety, Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 20 (1): 93-101 (Jan-Mar 1988).

K.W. Terhune et al., The Incidence and Role of Drugs in Fatally Injured Drivers, NHTSA Report # DOT-HS-808-065 (1994).

Hendrik Robbe and James O'Hanlon, Marijuana and Actual Driving Performance, NHTSA Report #DOT-HS-808-078 (1994).

Klonoff, loc. cit.; A. Smiley, Marijuana: On-road and driving simulator studies, Alcohol, Drugs and Driving: Abstracts and Reviews 2#3-4: 15-30 (1986).

Norman, Salyard and Mahoney, An Evaluation of Preemployment Drug Testing, Journal of Applied Psychology 75(6) 629-39 (1990).

Zwerling, Ryan and Orav, Costs and Benefits of Preemployment Drug Screening, JAMA 267(1): 91-3 (1992).

David Charles Parish, Relation of the Pre-employment Drug Testing Result to Employment Status: A One-year Follow-up, Journal of General Internal Medicine 4:44-7 (1989).

Dale Gieringer, Urinalysis or Uromancy? in Strategies for Change: New Directions in Drug Policy (Drug Policy Foundation, 1992); testimony of R.B. Stone in Hearings on the Airline and Rail Service Protection Act of 1987, Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, Feb. 20, 1987.

Gieringer, op. cit.; statistics reported in Federal Register Vol. 53 #224, Nov. 21, 1988 p. 47104.

Alison Smiley, Marijuana: On-Road and Driving Simulator Studies, Alcohol, Drugs, and Driving 2 #3-4: 121-34 (1986).

V.O. Leirer, J.A. Yesavage and D.G. Morrow, Marijuana Carry-Over Effects on Aircraft Pilot Performance, Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine 62: 221-7 (March 1991);

Yesavage, Leirer, et al., Carry-Over effects of marijuana intoxication on aircraft pilot performance: a preliminary report, American Journal of Psychiatry 142: 1325-9 (1985).

Leirer, Yesavage and Morrow, Marijuana, Aging and Task Difficulty Effects on Pilot Performance, Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine 60: 1145-52 (Dec. 1989).

Yesavage and Leirer, Hangover Effects on Aircraft Pilots 14 Hours After Alcohol Ingestion: A Preliminary Report, American Journal of Psychiatry 143: 1546-50 (Dec. 1986).

Mikuriya and M. Aldrich, Cannabis 1988: Old drug, new dangers, the potency question, Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 20:47-55.

Dr. Christine Hartel, Acting Director of Research, National Institute of Drug Abuse, cited by the State of Hawaii Dept of Health, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division in memo of Feb. 4, 1994

For an overview, see NAS Report, op. cit., pp. 81-2. R.G. Heath et al, Cannabis sativa: effects on brain function and ultrastructure in Rhesus monkeys, Biol. Psychiatry 15: 657-90 (1980).

William Slikker et al., Chronic Marijuana Smoke Exposure in the Rhesus Monkey, Fundamental and Applied Toxicology 17: 321-32 (1991).

Charles Rebert & Gordon Pryor - Chronic Inhalation of Marijuana Smoke and Brain Electrophysiology of Rhesus Monkeys, International Journal of Psychophysiology V 14, p.144, 1993.

NAS Report, pp. 82-7.

Cannabis and Memory Loss, (editorial) British Journal of Addiction 86: 249-52 (1991)

Dr. Christine Hartel, loc. cit.

NAS Report, pp. 94-9.

Dr. Robert Block in Drug and Alcohol Dependence 28: 121-8 (1991).

NAS Report, p. 97-8.

NAS Report, p. 99.

Dr. Susan Astley, Analysis of Facial Shape in Children Gestationally Exposed to Marijuana, Alcohol, and/or Cocaine, Pediatrics 89#1: 67-77 ( January 1992).

Dr. Barry Zuckerman et al. Effects of Maternal Marijuana and Cocaine Use on Fetal Growth, New England Journal of Medicine 320 #12: 762-8 (March 23, 1989); Dr. Ralph Hingson et al., Effects of maternal drinking and marijuana use on fetal growth and development, Pediatrics 70: 539-46 (1982).

Nancy Day et al., Prenatal Marijuana Use and Neonatal Outcome, Neurotoxicology and Teratology 13: 329-34 (1992).

NAS Report, pp. 66-67.

Dr. Leo Hollister, Marijuana and Immunity, Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 20(1): 3-8 (Jan/Mar 1988).

Sean Munro, Kerrie Thomas and Muna Abu-Shaar, Molecular characterization of a peripheral receptor for cannabinoids, Nature 365:61-5 (Sept. 2, 1993); Leslie Iversen, Medical Uses of Marijuana?, ibid. pp. 12-3.

Donald Tashkin et al., Cannabis 1977, Ann. Intern. Med. 89:539-49 (1978).

Richard A Kaslow et al, No Evidence for a Role of Alcohol or Other Psychoactive Drugs in Accelerating Immunodeficiency in HIV-1-Positive Individuals, JAMA 261:3424-9 (June 16, 1989).

NAS Report, p. 101.

Your site for "drug stories' http://paranoia.lycaeum.org/ is not an acceptable site.

I "did" look up the "Marijuana and Actual Driving Performance, NHTSA" referred to in your link.

Panel’s Assessment of Driving Risks: Low doses of THC moderately impair cognitive and psychomotor tasks associated with driving, while severe driving impairment is observed with high doses, chronic use and in combination with low doses of alcohol The more difficult and unpredictable the task, the more likely marijuana will impair performance.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/People/injury/research/job185drugs/cannabis.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I have unlocked this thread, so that Holocene can reply to Evo's last post. While we do not condone drug use, we cannot squelch well-researched discussion.

Evo, the NHTSA is a government entity, and no government entities are unbiased. I would not consider the NHTSA a research-grade source of information, either.

- Warren

chroot said:
I have unlocked this thread, so that Holocene can reply to Evo's last post. While we do not condone drug use, we cannot squelch well-researched discussion.

Evo, the NHTSA is a government entity, and no government entities are unbiased. I would not consider the NHTSA a research-grade source of information, either.

- Warren
That was Holocene's website's references for the NHTSA, not mine.

His link was to a "pro-drug use" website, not technical research.

I fully agree that the http://paranoia.lycaeum.org/ site should not be considered a reputable source. Holocene, perhaps you should have posted your dozens of citations in the original thread? Perhaps with an excerpt or two?

- Warren

What is the reason for your doubt about contributing money to this forum again?

As a scientist, I believe in making informed decisions based on evidence and data. After evaluating the effectiveness and impact of my previous contributions, I am unsure if continuing to invest money in this forum would be a wise decision.

Can you provide specific examples of how your previous contributions have been used?

Unfortunately, I do not have access to information on how my contributions have been utilized by the forum. This lack of transparency makes it difficult for me to justify investing more money.

Have you noticed any positive changes or improvements in the forum as a result of your contributions?

I have not personally seen any tangible improvements or changes in the forum that can be directly attributed to my contributions. This has contributed to my doubt about continuing to invest money.

Are there other ways to support the forum instead of contributing money?

Yes, there are alternative ways to support the forum such as volunteering time, providing feedback and suggestions, and promoting the forum to others. These can also be valuable contributions to help the forum grow and improve.

What would it take for you to reconsider and contribute money to the forum again?

If the forum can provide clear and concrete information on how my contributions will be used and the impact they will have, I would be more inclined to reconsider my doubt and potentially contribute money again. Transparency and accountability are important factors for me as a scientist.