1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubts about a redox equation

1. Aug 17, 2015 #1
    It's not clear to me how I can balance the following equation, most of all because of K which I don't know how to deal with:

[tex]\mathrm{SO_2 + K_2Cr_2O_7 \to Cr_2(SO_4)_3 + SO_3}[/tex] [this is the text of the exercise]

It's acidic solution for sulfuric acid, so the equation can be better written so:

[tex]\mathrm{SO_2 + K_2Cr_2O_7 + H_2SO_4 \to Cr_2(SO_4)_3 + SO_3 + H_2O + K}[/tex] (I assume K has to be added, preserving the charge in both members)

To use the half-reaction method I write the ionic form:

[tex]\mathrm{SO_2+K^+ + Cr_2O_7^{2-}+H^+ \to Cr^{3+}+SO_3+H_2O + K}[/tex]

Writing and balancing three half-reactions (can it be?) I get:

[tex]\mathrm{4SO_2 + K_2Cr_2O_7+3H_2SO_4 \to 4SO_3 + Cr_2(SO_4)_3+2K+3H_2O}[/tex]

Is it correct?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Hint: K+ is just a spectator, and SO3 in water means just SO42-.

4. Aug 17, 2015 #3
    Ok, your hint was foundamental to me.
    I have already thought about K+ being spectator but I "forgot" that
    [tex] \mathrm{ SO_3 + H_2O\to H_2SO_4\to 2H^+ + SO_4^{2-} }[/tex] (right?) so I didn't know what to do without K in the second member.

[tex] \mathrm{SO_2 + K_2Cr_2O_7 + H_2SO_4\to Cr_2(SO_4)_3 + SO_3 + H_2O + 2K^+ }[/tex]
    [tex] \mathrm{SO_2 + K_2Cr_2O_7 \to Cr_2(SO_4)_3 + 2K^+ }[/tex]
    ionic form: [tex] \mathrm{SO_2 + Cr_2O_7^{2-}\to Cr^{3+} + SO_4^{2-} }[/tex]

Balancing the two half-reactions:

[tex] \mathrm{3SO_2 + Cr_2O_7^{2-} + 2H^+\to 3SO_4^{2-} + 2Cr^{3+} + H_2O }[/tex]

And finally:

[tex] \mathrm{3SO_2 + K_2Cr_2O_7 + H_2SO_4\to K_2SO_4 +Cr_2(SO_4)_3 + H_2O }[/tex]

I'm not so sure though. Is it correct?

Thank you for your reply.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  5. Aug 17, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Looks OK to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted