Doubts about moment of inertia

In summary: The polar ice caps contain about 2.3*10^19 kg of ice.…However, I don't agree with the part for the calculation of the final I. I think it should be:2/3*m*R^2 + 2/5*(M-m)*R^2This is because you cannot count the mass twice in my opinion. However, they said that the ice does not contribute to the moment of inertia, so I am not sure how you go around handling this :(Yes, we have to compare 2/5*(M-m)*R2 before with 2/3*m*R2 + 2/5*(M-m
simpleton

Homework Statement

The polar ice caps contain about 2.3*10^19 kg of ice. This mass contributes essentially nothing to the moment of inertia of Earth because it is located at the poles, close to the axis of rotation. Because of Global warming, all the ice has melted and formed a uniform coat of water around the surface of the Earth. Calculate the change in the length of the day.

Given:
Mass of Earth = 5.98*10^24 kg
Radius of Earth = 6370 km
1 day = 86400s

Homework Equations

I of shell of sphere = 2/3*M*R^2
I of solid sphere = 2/5*M*R^3

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually, I have the solution to the problem, however, I don't agree with the solution, so I would like to know what you guys think.

Given Answer:
Assuming that Earth is a sphere before and after the melting of ice, and that the mass of Earth is M, the mass of ice is m, the radius of Earth is R, then we can formulate the following equation:

Initial I = 2/5*M*R^2
Final I = 2/3*m*R^2 + 2/5*M*R^2
Initial Time = 86400s
Final time to (Final I)/(Initial I)*T -T = 0.55s

However, I don't agree with the part for the calculation of the final I. I think it should be:

2/3*m*R^2 + 2/5*(M-m)*R^2

This is because you cannot count the mass twice in my opinion. However, they said that the ice does not contribute to the moment of inertia, so I am not sure how you go around handling this :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi simpleton! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
simpleton said:
The polar ice caps contain about 2.3*10^19 kg of ice.

Mass of Earth = 5.98*10^24 kg

However, I don't agree with the part for the calculation of the final I. I think it should be:

2/3*m*R^2 + 2/5*(M-m)*R^2

This is because you cannot count the mass twice in my opinion. However, they said that the ice does not contribute to the moment of inertia, so I am not sure how you go around handling this :(

Yes, we have to compare 2/5*(M-m)*R2 before with 2/3*m*R2 + 2/5*(M-m)*R2 after …

but the ratio m/M is about 10-5, so does it really make any difference whether we use (M-m) or just M, to 2 or 3 sig figs? :wink:

Yes it does.

If I use the sample method, I get 0.55s. If I use my method, I get 0.22s.

And you said that we need to compare 2/5*(M-m)*R2 before with 2/3*m*R2 + 2/5*(M-m)*R2 after …

But that does not make sense as well. The mass is different :(.

Last edited:
simpleton said:
Yes it does.

If I use the sample method, I get 0.55s. If I use my method, I get 0.22s.

And you said that we need to compare 2/5*(M-m)*R2 before with 2/3*m*R2 + 2/5*(M-m)*R2 after …

But that does not make sense as well. The mass is different :(.

(just got up :zzz: …)

But the answer is 5m/3(M - m) … how can an error ~ 10-5 make such a large difference? :confused:

(and the mass of the sphere beforehand is M-m, isn't it?)

Well, a day consist of 86400s, and 0.55s or 0.22s is around 10^-5 of 86400, so it does make a difference.

Anyway, if you don't believe me, here are the workings below:

Given Answer:

(Final I)/(Initial I)*T -T

= ( 2/3*m*R^2 + 2/5*M*R^2) / ( 2/5*M*R^2 ) * T - T
= (((((2 / 3) * 2.3 * (10^19) * (6 370 000^2)) + ((2 / 5) * 5.98 * (10^24) * (6 370 000^2))) / ((2 / 5) * 5.98 * (10^24) * (6 370 000^2))) * 86 400) - 86 400
= 0.553846154s

My Answer:

(Final I)/(Initial I)*T -T

= ( 2/3*m*R^2 + 2/5*(M-m)*R^2) / ( 2/5*M*R^2 ) * T - T

=(((((2 / 3) * 2.3 * (10^19) * (6 370 000^2)) + ((2 / 5) * ((5.98 * (10^24)) - (2.3 * (10^19))) * (6 370 000^2))) / ((2 / 5) * 5.98 * (10^24) * (6 370 000^2))) * 86 400) - 86 400
= 0.221538462

And tiny-tim, your answer is actually the same as the sample answer given if you multiply your answer (6.41028107 × 10^-6) by 86400. If you express your answer in days, it does not make a difference. But if it is in SI units, there is a difference of around 0.30 seconds.

Can you tell me why my method is wrong?

1. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is commonly denoted by the symbol I and is calculated by summing the mass of each particle in the object multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia different from mass?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion. In other words, the moment of inertia relates to an object's shape and distribution of mass, while mass is simply a measure of the amount of matter in an object.

3. How does the moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia plays a crucial role in an object's rotational motion. Objects with a larger moment of inertia require more torque to rotate, meaning they have a slower rotational speed. This is why larger objects, such as a bicycle wheel, are more difficult to set in motion than smaller objects, such as a pencil.

4. How can I calculate the moment of inertia for a complex object?

The moment of inertia can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of an object is equal to the moment of inertia of the object's center of mass plus the product of the object's mass and the square of the distance between the object's center of mass and the axis of rotation. This can be used to calculate the moment of inertia for more complex objects by breaking them down into smaller, simpler components.

5. Can the moment of inertia change?

Yes, the moment of inertia can change for an object depending on its shape, mass distribution, and axis of rotation. For example, a figure skater can change their moment of inertia by extending their arms or pulling them closer to their body, which changes their rotational speed. Additionally, the moment of inertia can change if the object's mass or distribution of mass changes.