Doubts about the method of determining the elastic constant of a spring

In summary, the mass against the period squared will be the same as plotting the mass against the inverse angular frequency squared times a proportionality constant (##4\pi^2##). The slope means the spring constant.
Cloruro de potasio
Homework Statement
Some doubts about the methods of determining the elastic constant of a spring
Relevant Equations
\omega = \sqrt (k/m)
Good afternoon,I am preparing a laboratory report on the study of the oscillations of a spring and the following questions have arisen:The script asks us to represent the mass against the squared period, in this case, the slope will correspond to the spring constant divided by 4Π^2 and the ordinate at the origin with the threshold mass or effective mass of the spring. However, they also ask me to represent the angular frequency squared against the inverse of the mass, and in this case the result I obyain is strange, what does the ordinate in the origin means in this case??, what does the slope mean??

I thought the slope meant the spring constant, if we do it like that we don't take the effective mass into the account...

I will be grateful if I find this doubt.

Also, they ask me which method is more precise, the stationary or the dynamic, what do they think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it like this. Let us denote the period of the spring oscillations (which I assume are linear and obey Hooke's Law with the parameters you used) by ##T## and the angular frequency by ##\omega## Then, quite clearly:
$$T^2 = \frac{4\pi^2}{\omega^2} \implies T^2 \propto \frac{1}{\omega^2}$$

Therefore, if you plot the mass against the period squared T2, it will be the same as plotting the mass against the inverse angular frequency squared times a proportionality constant (##4\pi^2##).

Indeed, let's look at what the plot of your data should look like for the angular frequency plot. We know that
##\omega^2 = \frac{k}{m}##. We can denote the inverse mass by ##x = \frac{1}{m}##. Plotting the inverse mass against the squared angular frequency, we get the following relation:
$$\omega^2 = kx$$
Thus, the slope will be the spring constant.
Now, let's look at what the plot of your data should look like when you plot the mass against the squared period:
$$T = 2\pi\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}$$
Squaring both sides:
$$T^2 = 4\pi^2\frac{m}{k}$$
Thus, replacing ##m = x## since our independent variable was the mass, we get the relation:
$$T^2 = \frac{4\pi^2}{k}x$$
You can see that here, the slope of the graph will be ##\frac{4\pi}{k}##. In other words, it will have the inverse slope of the angular frequency plot, times a constant ##4\pi##.

Likes Cloruro de potasio
Thank you very much, the problem is that the spring has an effective mass, which should be added to the mass that is applied on the spring to use these equations, and this effective mass is unknown.

If you develop both equations considering m = m_eff + m_applied, clearing the equation corresponding to the period we have:

m = (k/4/Π^2)*T^2 - m_0,

So representing the mass versus the squared period we obtain a slope proportional to k, and the ordinate at the origin corresponds to the effective mass. My doubt is that in this case, I do not know how to determine (taking into account the effective mass), the physical meaning of the slope and of the ordinate at the origin of the representation ω^ 2 versus 1 / m.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant ω^ 2 versus 1 / m.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant ω^2 versus 1/m...

Ok. Starting from the equation you gave in your post:
$$m = \frac{k}{4\pi^2}T^2+m_0$$
try to substitute ##T = \frac{2\pi}{\omega}##

Likes Cloruro de potasio
Thank you again,

I get the following equation:

m = k / ω^2 - m_0.

That is to say, the representation of the mass against the inverse of the frequency at the cudrado should be the result of the constant of the spring, and as ordered in origin the effective mass of this. However, if we clear ω^2 in order to obtain the equation of the line of m vs ω^2, we get ω^2 = k / (m+m_0), that is, since we don't know the value of m_0, This expersion does not make much sense, and that is why I do not know how to interpret this graphic representation.

Well, to start, we can write:
$$w^2 = \frac{k}{m+m_0}$$
Then, the vertical asymptote of the graph will be equal to ##- m_0##, which was equivalent to the slope in the linear relation.
You can see this by clicking here:
https://www.desmos.com/calculator
and entering the equation ##\frac{1}{x+k}##, and changing the k slider.

@Cloruro de potasio ( @KCl :wink: ) can you understand how to go from @KDPhysics ' post to the intercept in your plot ?

Your plot $$m = k {T\over 2\pi}^2 - m_0 \Rightarrow\qquad {1\over\omega^2} = {m+m_0 \over k}$$ has slope ##1\over k## and intercept ##m_0##. Neat !

Last edited:
Likes Cloruro de potasio
Yes, I understand the representation of 1/ω^2 vs m (I think the intersection would be in m_0 / k), but the script asks me to represent ω^2 vs 1/m, and it is that graph to which I don't find such a clear physical meaning ...

By the way, in your opinion, which method is more precise, static or dynamic ...

Cloruro de potasio said:
I think the intersection would be in ##m_0 / k##
You think correctly. My mistake: the y-intercept is ##m_0 / k##, the x-intercept is ##-m_0##.

Cloruro de potasio said:
By the way, in your opinion, which method is more precise, static or dynamic ...
Haha, by now you are the expert: you have actually done the experiment !

(did you compare ##m_0## with the mass of the spring :cool: ?)

Likes hutchphd
Yes, from my point of view, both methods are valid as long as the measurements are made in a rigorous and precise way, perhaps, I would be more inclined to the dynamic method, since with a computer data collection system it is much more precise determine the period of the oscillations that the elongation in the static method (since in this case, no matter how much we try to leave it still, it never stops completely ...)

The effective mass of the spring turns out to be approximately 5 grams (it depends on the spring, since I did the experiment for different springs), it fits quite well to what is expected theoretically (the real mass divided by 3)

Likes BvU

1. What is the method of determining the elastic constant of a spring?

The method of determining the elastic constant of a spring is known as Hooke's Law. This method involves applying a known force to a spring and measuring the resulting displacement. The elastic constant, also known as the spring constant, is then calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement.

2. How accurate is the method of determining the elastic constant of a spring?

The accuracy of the method depends on various factors such as the precision of the measuring instruments, the condition of the spring, and the technique used. However, with proper equipment and techniques, the method can provide accurate results.

3. Can the elastic constant of a spring change over time?

Yes, the elastic constant of a spring can change over time due to factors such as fatigue, corrosion, and temperature changes. This is why it is important to regularly calibrate and replace worn out springs in order to maintain accuracy in measurements.

4. Are there any limitations to the method of determining the elastic constant of a spring?

One limitation of this method is that it assumes the spring follows Hooke's Law, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the method may not be applicable to non-linear springs or springs made of materials with unique properties such as shape memory alloys.

5. How can the method of determining the elastic constant of a spring be improved?

To improve the accuracy of this method, it is important to use high-quality measuring instruments and to perform multiple trials to reduce the effects of errors. Additionally, using a variety of forces and measuring the resulting displacements can help verify the validity of the results.