Velocity in Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory

In summary, the conversation discusses the textbook "Classical Mechanics" by Douglas Gregory and the relationship between displacement, velocity, and speed. The concept of arc-length and its application in finding the length of a curve is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the importance of displacement and the units of measurement for velocity and speed. It is clarified that both velocity and speed can be measured in meters per second or kilometers per hour. The ease of working with vector concepts is emphasized and it is noted that velocity can be found to determine speed or vice versa. It is also confirmed that the absolute value of velocity at any instant gives the speed at that instant, with the suggestion to use terms like "length" or "magnitude" instead of "absolute value
manimaran1605
i am using textbook in classical mechanics by douglas gregory. It is known that rate of change of displacement with time is velocity , but it is given that the velocity at any instant is the equal to the product of speed and its unit tangent vector at that instant in vector form i.e, V=vT (this expression is reasonable), but the method he proves this expression questions me, he says that rate of change of displacement with time is velocity i.e, dR/dt=V then he said distance is changing by time and by chain rule (dR/ds)(ds/dt) was that mean 's' is also the function of displacement? if yes how?

another doubts: why it is displacement so important( i know vector concepts are abstract concepts)?, why the velocity is measured in meter per second and speed in kilometer per hour? we can use the distance as the measure of time but we can't use the displacement as the measure of time why?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi manimaran1605! :smile:
manimaran1605 said:
… he says that rate of change of displacement with time is velocity i.e, dR/dt=V then he said distance is changing by time and by chain rule (dR/ds)(ds/dt) was that mean 's' is also the function of displacement? if yes how?

no, s is the arc-length (see eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_length)

arc-length is the length of a curve between two points of the curve, meaured along the curve

eg the arc-length of an arc of angle θ on a circle of radius r is rθ :wink:
another doubts: why it is displacement so important( i know vector concepts are abstract concepts)?,

because, vector concepts are abstract concepts that are very easy to work with
why the velocity is measured in meter per second and speed in kilometer per hour?

both velocity and speed can be measured in both units, ie metres per second or kilometres per hour

Likes 1 person
can u give me a example how these vector concepts are easy to work? does that mean we are finding velocity to find speed (am i right)?
Another question: does the absolute value of the velocity at any instant give the speed at that instant?

manimaran1605 said:
does that mean we are finding velocity to find speed (am i right)?

you can do it in either direction … finding velocity to find speed, or finding speed to find velocity
does the absolute value of the velocity at any instant give the speed at that instant?

yes, the scalar, speed, v, is the absolute value of the vector, velocity, v :smile:

I would not use the term "absolute value" for a vector: "length" or "magnitude" would be better.

What is velocity in classical mechanics?

Velocity in classical mechanics is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is velocity calculated in classical mechanics?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. It is represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

What is the difference between velocity and speed in classical mechanics?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in classical mechanics. While speed is a scalar quantity that only measures magnitude, velocity is a vector quantity that also takes into account direction.

Can an object have constant velocity in classical mechanics?

Yes, an object can have constant velocity if its speed and direction remain the same over time. This means that its acceleration is zero, and it is moving at a constant rate in a straight line.

How is velocity related to acceleration in classical mechanics?

Velocity and acceleration are closely related in classical mechanics. Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time, and it is represented by the equation a = Δv/Δt. In other words, acceleration measures how quickly an object's velocity is changing.