1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubts on impulse and momentum

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. An antitank missile (m = 12kg.), when it reaches the maximum height (v = 0) explodes breaking into a large piece of 5kg. and a multitude of small pieces exiting vertically upwards with a speed of 40m / s. What is the speed of the first piece?.

• A locomotive traveling at 20m / s, collides and engages in a car traveling initially in repose after the two at a speed of 16m / s. if the amount of movement of the locomotive-car system is 128kg.m / s. What is the mass of each body?

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\Delta P = I [/itex]

[itex]p = m*v[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

1. [itex]\Delta P = mv_f -mv_o = (5 + m)*v - (m*0) [/itex]

[itex]= (5+m)v_f = 5*v_f + m*v_f = 5v + 40*7 \to \boxed{v = -56 m/s} [/itex]

2. [itex]\Delta P = mv_f - mv_o = (m_1 + m_2)16 -20m_1 [/itex]

[itex](m_1 + m_2)16 = 128 \to m_1 = \frac{128 -16m_2}{16} [/itex]

Could you correct my mistakes?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2
    I looked at the first part:
    v=-56 m/s looks like the right answer to me. The variables in the work get mixed up. v becomes vf then goes back to v. Some of the problem might be the starting equation. There should be a summation for the m*vf term because m breaks up into two parts. So you could have m*vf=(m1*v1f+m2*v2f). Then it would help to state that delta P is 0, and you should still get -56 m/s.
    Does that help any?

4. Nov 4, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

For the second question, you have not arrived at values for m1 and m2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook