1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubts on the basics of Automotive Engineering -- Suggestions for learning materials?

1. Oct 29, 2015 #1
    hey...this is lokesh. I am really interested in automobiles but the problem is that i am a beginner. I am just not able to apply the concepts of inertia energy and torque on engines. Can you please suggest me any e-books or links which would help me clear my basics? Please reply asap. Desperate to start on.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2015 #2
    Do you know the fundamentals of automobile operation, such as engine, ignition, fuel system, exhaust, cooling system, charging system, etc?

4. Oct 30, 2015 #3
    Yes i do.

5. Oct 30, 2015 #4
    Then someone else will have to help you. If you were just a beginner, I was going to suggest Stokel.

Chet

6. Oct 31, 2015 #5

David Lewis

Gold Member

Welcome Lokesh. Please specify the aspects of inertia in which you're interested (mass, momentum, kinetic energy, acceleration). Energy and torque of a motor are interrelated. Energy is work (force x distance). Power is the rate at which energy is produced or consumed (force x distance / time).

Power = angular speed * torque

[power] = watts (W)
    [speed] = radians per second (rad/s)
    [torque] = newton-metres (N-m)

7. Nov 2, 2015 #6

donpacino

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook