1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubts regarding gradient operator

1. Jul 26, 2014 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need some help regarding the gradient operator. I recently came across this statement while reading Griffith's Electrodynamics
    "The gradient ∇T points in the direction of maximum increase of the function
    T."

Wolfram Alpha also states that "The direction of ∇f is the orientation in which the directional derivative has the largest value and |∇f| is the value of that directional derivative. "

I'm finding it difficult to absorb this thing without any reasonable explanation. Can someone help?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Take a scalar field, [itex]T(\vec{x})[/itex] and calculate the directional derivative in direction of the unit vector [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] at a fixed point [itex]\vec{x}=\vec{x}_0[/itex]. How is it related to the gradient? In which direction do have to choose [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] such that (modulus of) the directional derivative becomes maximal?

4. Jul 26, 2014 #3
  5. Jul 27, 2014 #4

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Thank you very much! This article explains it very nicely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted