1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubts regarding heat pump

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    let's say some amount of heat is absorbed by a refrigerant for phase change at a low pressure. will this heat absorbed be equal to the heat given out by the compressed refrigerant at high pressure?
    i know that the amount of heat required for phase change from liquid to vapour is less at low pressure.
    similarly does the amount of heat required for condensation depend on how much pressure is being applied?
    as far as i understand the heat pump functions using the latent heat(of phase change) property of the refrigerant to absorb and reject more heat at small temperature differences. so that more heat flows as the temperature doesnt change during the phase change. am i right?
    and please answer the above two questions too. :) and in layman's terms.. :P

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. The heat delivered to the hot reservoir per unit of time (in the case of your refrigerator, the hot reservoir is the air in your kitchen) is equal to the rate at which heat is removed from the cold reservoir (ie. the inside of the fridge) PLUS the rate at which work is being done on the gas (ie. the work done by the compressor on the refrigerant).

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook