Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Down in the dumps

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1

wolram

Gold Member

What do you do to cheer yourself up.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2
    I don't

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
  5. Oct 1, 2009 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Music helps a lot.

Or a hot bath.

6. Oct 1, 2009 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I am trying to understand Wollie's posts, but it may not work in your case.

7. Oct 1, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Have you considered adopting a shelter dog? I've been feeling pretty crappy all summer with weather-related illnesses (mold, mildew, humidity) and Duke has really cheered me up. He is always excited to see me, even if I have been gone for a ridiculously short time. When it's time for a walk, for his breakfast, etc, he's always happy and appreciative. Plus, I get outdoors more often so he can have exercise and relieve himself.

happyDuke.jpg

8. Oct 1, 2009 #7
    I'm happy now!!!!!!

9. Oct 1, 2009 #8
    Get out and do just about anything. I have always thought about moods as being comppared to riding a bicycle. It is a lot easier to keep your balance if you keep moving.

:smile::smile:

10. Oct 1, 2009 #9
    If possible, meet funny and nice people.

11. Oct 1, 2009 #10
    Cycling usually helps me. Or reading a funny book. Tchaikovsky and Vivaldi have some cheer-inducing pieces.

12. Oct 1, 2009 #11
    Cheering music

Romantic

Impressive

All the best, Pal

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  13. Oct 1, 2009 #12
    I like to work out. Although the way things usually are for me I have no time to do so.

14. Oct 1, 2009 #13
    It depends on my mood and how busy the day.

Sometimes listening to oldies in the car helps. Sometimes finishing something I've neglected. Sometimes helping someone else do something is therapeutic. If possible, I hug my youngest daughter or my wife - if they aren't around I play with one of the puppies or cats.

If none of those options are available, I post on PF. If all else fails, I take a walk.

15. Oct 1, 2009 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't really try to cheer myself up. Usually if I'm having a really lousy day, my boyfriend will cheer me up. Otherwise, a new day often brings better moods.

16. Oct 1, 2009 #15
    for me its a a quick round of video games. Just something to take the mind off of things for a while.

17. Oct 2, 2009 #16

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Haven't you started a new career as a landscape photographer last year?

18. Oct 2, 2009 #17
    Prank phone calls. They always cheer me up.

19. Oct 2, 2009 #18
    Get drunk and watch some old Godzilla movies.

20. Oct 2, 2009 #19
    Get old Godzilla and his creators drunk and watch the new remakes.

21. Oct 2, 2009 #20

turbo

Gold Member

True! We have a potential Ansel Adams of the English countryside, and haven't seen any new pictures for a while...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook