Solve Downhill Problem: Find Distance of b with a=35m and theta=43.6

• Thread starter page123
  • Start date
In summary, the problem asks to find the distance b, which is the landing point of a man who starts at rest at the top of a hill and skis down at an angle theta. The problem can be solved by considering the initial kinetic energy and using kinematics equations, and also considering the y-component of the jump and using the Pythagorean theorem. The specific distance b can be found by finding the horizontal distance traveled in the given time. However, it is unclear if the part of the hill where the man takes off and where he lands are perpendicular to each other.
page123

Homework Statement

mF6km.png

A man is at rest at the top of a hill ready to ski downwards. Find the distance of b which is his landing point in terms of a and theta. You may neglect all frictional effects, ground and air. If a = 35 m and theta = 43.6, estimate the value of b. Keep in mind that this man has started at rest and just coasts.

Homework Equations

Since this isn't necessarily a standard "type-of-question-which-one-would-use-a-specific-set-of-equations-for", I would say any kinematics equations would be relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that vi = 0 m/s. When I look at the diagram I'm thinking of splitting this problem into three sections, I sort of see three triangles formed. One at the start which the skiier is on the hypotenuse of, then there's a ditch triangle, then the final triangle with b. But I have no idea how to start with the first triangle.

If anyone has a better strategy or knows a better strategy that would be great or can help me start or anything. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the problem states to ignore friction you really only have one section as long as you know that U + K = E.
The downhill then uphill section translates into an amount of kinetic energy being "launched" at angle theta (assuming those angles are suppose to be the same although they don't look like it at all). To determine his landing you need to determine how long he will be airborne, so just the y-component of the jump (so just determine the y-component velocity and keep in mind that gravity is pulling the skiier down). Then after you have the time you can determine the total x distance traveled in that time. After you have your two components just use the Pythagorean theorem to get the distance b.

page123 said:
If anyone has a better strategy or knows a better strategy that would be great or can help me start or anything. Thanks.

ok...you can easily find the velocity at the point it takes off. Then you take x-axis along the snow and y-axis perpendicular to it. Resolve g in these axis and solve. You will get the answer. But for that you need to have one more information which is not clearly given but is suggested in the figure you gave - Is the part of the hill from where he takes off and part where he lands perpendicular to each other.

Bhumble said:
Since the problem states to ignore friction you really only have one section as long as you know that U + K = E.
The downhill then uphill section translates into an amount of kinetic energy being "launched" at angle theta (assuming those angles are suppose to be the same although they don't look like it at all). To determine his landing you need to determine how long he will be airborne, so just the y-component of the jump (so just determine the y-component velocity and keep in mind that gravity is pulling the skiier down). Then after you have the time you can determine the total x distance traveled in that time. After you have your two components just use the Pythagorean theorem to get the distance b.

Okay, so I can find the time using for the entire distance but I'm not sure how you get specificlly distance b, seems like you get the horizontal distance for the entire hill.

ok...you can easily find the velocity at the point it takes off. Then you take x-axis along the snow and y-axis perpendicular to it. Resolve g in these axis and solve. You will get the answer. But for that you need to have one more information which is not clearly given but is suggested in the figure you gave - Is the part of the hill from where he takes off and part where he lands perpendicular to each other.

What do you mean by 'g', and how do you easily find the velocity at the point it takes off? I only know the vi = 0m/s? And I'm not sure how the perpendicular thing comes into play?

Any help?

1. What is the formula for solving the downhill problem with a=35m and theta=43.6?

The formula for solving the downhill problem is b = a * tan(theta), where b is the distance and a is the vertical height of the hill and theta is the angle of inclination.

2. How do I determine the vertical height of the hill (a) in the downhill problem?

The vertical height of the hill (a) is given in the problem as 35m. This value represents the distance from the top of the hill to the bottom.

3. What is the significance of the angle of inclination (theta) in the downhill problem?

The angle of inclination (theta) represents the slope of the hill in degrees. It is important in determining the distance (b) that needs to be traveled downhill.

4. Can I use the same formula to solve any downhill problem?

Yes, you can use the same formula (b = a * tan(theta)) to solve any downhill problem as long as you have the values for a and theta.

5. How can I convert the angle of inclination from degrees to radians?

To convert the angle of inclination from degrees to radians, you can use the formula radians = (pi/180) * degrees. In this case, the angle of inclination (43.6 degrees) would be converted to approximately 0.762 radians.