1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Download Linux

1. Jul 8, 2005 #1
    Do you know where i can download fedora for free ? I downloaded a lot of unix-based free software and recorded them in a lot of cd's but finally i can't use any of them because my system says my software are 'cracks',not-yet-incompletely-downloaded ones.
    I use windows and I don't know how to md5 check to test if what I have downloaded is operatable. Is there any other way around helping me deal with this anyway ?

I also think that linux, because it is a free software, should be more insecure than windows ? It is just like a browser that, if not updated on time, leaves a security hole for those who created or understand it well to get all of information on user's computer ????

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2005 #2
    Linux is much more secure than windows. The only issue with linux is that most software companies do not make software for it; however, there are a large number of free alternatives for software, and there are programs that run some of the popular windows programs (wine, crossover office).

You can download fedora core from playboy.com: http://mirrors.playboy.com/

4. Jul 8, 2005 #3
    Thank you for the link, but it doesn't work

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  5. Jul 8, 2005 #4
  6. Jul 8, 2005 #5
    Read this :smile:.

7. Jul 10, 2005 #6
    Thank you...
    Take care of yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?