Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Download Linux

1. Jul 8, 2005 #1
    Do you know where i can download fedora for free ? I downloaded a lot of unix-based free software and recorded them in a lot of cd's but finally i can't use any of them because my system says my software are 'cracks',not-yet-incompletely-downloaded ones.
    I use windows and I don't know how to md5 check to test if what I have downloaded is operatable. Is there any other way around helping me deal with this anyway ?

I also think that linux, because it is a free software, should be more insecure than windows ? It is just like a browser that, if not updated on time, leaves a security hole for those who created or understand it well to get all of information on user's computer ????

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2005 #2
    Linux is much more secure than windows. The only issue with linux is that most software companies do not make software for it; however, there are a large number of free alternatives for software, and there are programs that run some of the popular windows programs (wine, crossover office).

You can download fedora core from playboy.com: http://mirrors.playboy.com/

4. Jul 8, 2005 #3
    Thank you for the link, but it doesn't work

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  5. Jul 8, 2005 #4
  6. Jul 8, 2005 #5
    Read this :smile:.

7. Jul 10, 2005 #6
    Thank you...
    Take care of yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?