Change from IE to Mozilla: All Your Questions Answered

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, it is easy to switch from IE to Mozilla. All your settings are uneffected by installing Mozilla.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
can anyone please tell me how easy or difficult it is to change
from IE to MOZILLA? do you loose all the cookies stored
by IE? is e mail effected etc etc.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Going from IE to Mozilla is a piece of cake.

All IE settings are uneffected by installing Mozilla.

If you just want a web browser then I suggest getting firefox

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

If you want mail, irc, we browing, etc, etc then the regular mozilla is fine

http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

Bookmarks can be imported from IE. Just export the bookmarks in IE. It will create an html file. Then in mozilla go to manage bookmarks and import the html file.

Last edited by a moderator:
once again thanks DDURADO, you guys are just soooooooo
helpful:smile:

I use Firefox, and it is a big plus...I dig it mucho!

If you just want a web browser then I suggest getting firefox

What happened to Firebird!? They changed the name again??

Last edited:
Originally posted by kenikov
What happened to Firebird!? They changed the name again??
No no no...it's Firebird...I copied dduardo, which makes me feel double-silly, since it says Firebird right there on my monitor...oops!

No, No, its firefox. They changed the name once again. And yes, it says it right there on the monitor.

Originally posted by dduardo
No, No, its firefox. They changed the name once again. And yes, it says it right there on the monitor.
Since when?? Is Firefox the new version or the older version?!?

Originally posted by Zero

Apparently.

First Chimera, now this.

How can you expect to be popular if you can't keep consistent names?!

Scoreboard:

Microsoft 1 Mozilla 0

:wink:

Originally posted by kenikov
Apparently.

First Chimera, now this.

How can you expect to be popular if you can't keep consistent names?!

Scoreboard:

Microsoft 1 Mozilla 0

:wink:
Yeah, ummm...kind of sucks, huh?

Opera and Avant are good browsers too. But basically, anything's better than IE and Netscape.

Firefox is pretty good. It's faster than my Explorer and it imports your IE links automatically as well. There's also tons of skins to choose from if you get tired of looking at the same interface.

EDIT - export--->import

Last edited:
Zero said:

When they released 0.8 they renamed it Firefox due to some trademark problems. Personally I like the name better, otherwise I always think of the car. And yes Firefox rules!

Is Firefox the browser that Mozilla shows "out of the box", or something else I need to install?

Opera and Avant are good browsers too. But basically, anything's better than IE and Netscape.

I use Safari, Camino, Firebird on my Mac. Firebird and IE on Windows.

Aside from Safari, I can say that IE is easily the best browser of all. Works for every site I go to, when I click on music downloads the right application always opens up (not safari), and it has never crashed on me unlike Camino and Safari.

I use high-speed internet so I hardly see any significant speed changes when switching browsers.

There's also tons of skins to choose from if you get tired of looking at the same interface.

That's true. I find Mozilla and Camino's interface to be extremely ugly/dull. I have jelly buttons on Camino.

s Firefox the browser that Mozilla shows "out of the box", or something else I need to install?

Mozilla is the all-in-one internet application suite.

Firefox is the browser. If you just want a browser, install Firefox.

You might also want to check out Opera, although there are ads if you don't pay, its still a great browser.

The main reason why I use Opera over Firefox is, there's no way in FireFox to auto open new links in tabs instead of whole new program windows, which is anoying. In Opera it will always open in a new tab, and thus keep your taskbar nice and neat :tongue:

Jake: I'm sure you can write an extension for Firefox to do that in about four seconds.

And I assume you're aware that ctrl-clicking a link in Firefox opens it in a tab.

- Warren

about:mozilla <- type that in your IE address bar.

Jake said:
You might also want to check out Opera, although there are ads if you don't pay, its still a great browser.

The main reason why I use Opera over Firefox is, there's no way in FireFox to auto open new links in tabs instead of whole new program windows, which is anoying. In Opera it will always open in a new tab, and thus keep your taskbar nice and neat :tongue:

Do you use a three button mouse? If so then you can set FireFox up to open links in new tab using the middle button (I installed FireFox so long ago I forgot if this is a default setting). Click a link with the middle button and see what happens. You can close tabs by placing the mouse anywhere over the tab and middle clicking also.

I believe there's an extention available to automatically open links in background tabs floating around as well.

Ok.. Please don't kill me. But why do you guys prefer Firefox over IE so much?

Ok I just downloaded it. I see why, because it is freakin FAST. Much faster than IE. I wonder if I can make the switch.

Ok.. Please don't kill me. But why do you guys prefer Firefox over IE so much?

Mozilla is Open Source. Even though people rarely actually change the code, they just like it that way.

People hate Microsoft out of jealousy, and would rather not use their products when possible.

I prefer Firefox, because you get excellent pop-up protection w/o 3rd party software, there's the ability to limit what javascript commands a website can use, but most of all no "visit this website and your computer gets wiped" problems either. Makes you feel in control !

1. Why should I change from Internet Explorer to Mozilla?

There are several reasons why you may want to consider switching from Internet Explorer to Mozilla. First, Mozilla is an open-source browser, meaning it is constantly being updated and improved by a global community of developers. This often results in a faster, more secure browsing experience. Additionally, Mozilla is known for its compatibility with web standards, making it easier to access and view websites. Lastly, Mozilla offers a wide range of customizable features and extensions, allowing you to tailor your browsing experience to your preferences.

2. Will all of my bookmarks and saved passwords transfer over to Mozilla?

Yes, when you switch to Mozilla, you will have the option to import all of your bookmarks and saved passwords from Internet Explorer. This can be done during the initial setup process or at any time through the browser's settings. This eliminates the need to manually transfer all of your saved data, making the transition smoother and more convenient.

3. Can I still access websites that are optimized for Internet Explorer?

Yes, Mozilla offers a feature called "Compatibility Mode" which allows you to view websites that are optimized for Internet Explorer. This ensures that you can still access all of your favorite websites without any issues. Additionally, Mozilla is known for its compatibility with web standards, so you may find that many websites work even better on this browser.

4. Will switching to Mozilla affect my computer's performance?

Switching to Mozilla should not have a significant impact on your computer's performance. In fact, many users report that Mozilla runs faster and smoother than Internet Explorer. However, if you have an older or slower computer, it may be worth checking the system requirements for Mozilla to ensure it is compatible with your device.

5. Is it difficult to switch from Internet Explorer to Mozilla?

No, switching from Internet Explorer to Mozilla is a fairly straightforward process. You can download and install Mozilla for free from their official website, and the setup wizard will guide you through the process. Additionally, as mentioned earlier, you have the option to import all of your bookmarks and saved passwords from Internet Explorer, making the transition even easier.