Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Download speeds on different connections

1. May 31, 2003 #1
    i know on ADSL 512K, which i am on now i get 60K a second maximum. I was just wondering what other connections people got and their download speed. i know it depends on traffic, and the servers, i mean what is the fastest download speed you got so far?

mine downloading from microsoft i think i got 75K a second and it stayed there at that speed for along time.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

512K is kiloBITS (usually abbreviated kb), 60K is kiloBYTES (kB). So you are getting 480kB, which is very close to your max speed.

4. Jun 2, 2003 #3
    Russ...what is the formula that you use to get those figures? I can never remember how it works

18...I use a burstable T1 here at work and see up to 100kps. However, in my travels I have been to colleges that use different speed OC lines, and I've downloaded at up to 320kps.

5. Jun 2, 2003 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Bits/8 = Bytes

512kb / 8kb/kB = 60kB

I was also on a good college lan and I once got 400kB (kilobytes/sec) in a download. Thats 2.4mb (megabits/sec). Smoking.

6. Jun 2, 2003 #5
    When I was an undergrad living on-campus, our dorms were part of the nice campus academic network... as such we automatically got routed through things like vBNS (hi-speed dedicated academic network) when contacting computers at other big universities. There were a few times I was downloading stuff from like Berkeley or MIT and getting speeds of around a megabyte/second -- could tell it was saturating the local 10BaseT ethernet. Pretty damn cool. ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?