Downloading Music Getting More Expensive

• Music
  • Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration and disappointment with the rising prices of music despite the cost-saving measures taken by record companies. There is hope that competition will eventually force prices down, but there are concerns about companies forming an oligopoly to fix prices. There is also speculation about potential government intervention in the form of an antitrust suit. However, it is acknowledged that this may be unlikely to happen. Overall, the conversation highlights the ongoing issue of pricing in the music industry.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
This makes me sick.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/0407downloading07-ON.html

:mad:

No wonder I don't buy music anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Well that is just sad. Just when I thought iTunes was going to revolutionize the way music is bought, this happens.

So the music companies save money by eliminating packaging and distribution and it still costs the same if not more!? Just plain stupid.

I think in the end Competition will force the price down. Companies in bussiness cut costs as much as possible to beat out competition, so if there's a lot of discretionary income, I bet that might happen.

(Hopefully)

Still, no reason to go around pirating and downloading illegal music, is it? :smile:

Jake said:
I think in the end Competition will force the price down.

Um, did you not read the article:

"Several record-company executives acknowledged that pricing changes are being discussed at all five major companies."

The record companies have basically formed an oligopoly just to fix the price of music.

dduardo said:
Um, did you not read the article:

"Several record-company executives acknowledged that pricing changes are being discussed at all five major companies."

The record companies have basically formed an oligopoly just to fix the price of music.

:confused:

Jake said:
:confused:

An oligopoly is a type of monopoly wherein a couple of firms produce all or most types of products or service. By essence it is a shared monopoly.

The bottom line is, all these record companies are fixing prices that will benefit them in the long run.

Last edited:
I realize that. I was just saying that in the long term, that type of thing might not last due to competition of even outside companies. I also think that in the end, it might not even benifit the companies to charge that much and they might see their revenues fall. ( Just look dduardo's first post :wink: )

Jake said:
I realize that. I was just saying that in the long term, that type of thing might not last due to competition of even outside companies. I also think that in the end, it might not even benifit the companies to charge that much and they might see their revenues fall. ( Just look dduardo's first post :wink: )

Or the Government can intervene and file an antitrust suit. We'd probably see flying saucers first before that even happens :wink:

The_Professional said:
Or the Government can intervene and file an antitrust suit. We'd probably see flying saucers first before that even happens :wink:

Sadly :redface:

What are the reasons for music downloads getting more expensive?

There are several reasons for music downloads getting more expensive. One major factor is the increasing demand for high-quality audio, which requires more advanced technology and resources. Additionally, streaming services have become more popular, leading to a decrease in music sales and causing companies to raise prices to make up for lost revenue. Another factor is the rising cost of music licensing and copyright fees, which are passed on to consumers.

How do music companies determine the cost of music downloads?

Music companies determine the cost of music downloads based on a variety of factors. These may include the popularity of the artist, production and distribution costs, and the current market demand. Additionally, licensing fees and royalties paid to songwriters and publishers can also impact the price of music downloads.

Are there any alternatives to purchasing music downloads at a higher cost?

Yes, there are alternatives to purchasing music downloads at a higher cost. Many streaming services offer subscription-based models where users pay a monthly fee to access a large library of music. Additionally, some artists offer their music for free or at a lower cost on their personal websites or through platforms like Bandcamp.

Will music downloads continue to increase in price?

It is difficult to predict the future of music download prices, but it is possible that they may continue to increase. As technology advances and production costs rise, music companies may need to raise prices to stay profitable. However, competition from streaming services and other alternative methods of obtaining music may also pressure companies to keep prices stable.

How can consumers protect themselves from the rising cost of music downloads?

Consumers can protect themselves from the rising cost of music downloads by exploring alternative methods of obtaining music, such as streaming services or purchasing physical copies of albums. Additionally, being selective about which songs or albums to purchase can help save money. Keeping an eye out for sales and discounts can also help reduce the cost of music downloads.