Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Downloading Music Getting More Expensive

1. Apr 8, 2004 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2004 #2
    Well that is just sad. Just when I thought iTunes was going to revolutionize the way music is bought, this happens.

4. Apr 8, 2004 #3
    So the music companies save money by eliminating packaging and distribution and it still costs the same if not more!? Just plain stupid.

5. Apr 8, 2004 #4
    I think in the end Competition will force the price down. Companies in bussiness cut costs as much as possible to beat out competition, so if theres a lot of discretionary income, I bet that might happen.

(Hopefully)

Still, no reason to go around pirating and downloading illegal music, is it? :smile:

6. Apr 8, 2004 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Um, did you not read the article:

"Several record-company executives acknowledged that pricing changes are being discussed at all five major companies."

The record companies have basically formed an oligopoly just to fix the price of music.

7. Apr 8, 2004 #6

:confused:

8. Apr 8, 2004 #7
    An oligopoly is a type of monopoly wherein a couple of firms produce all or most types of products or service. By essence it is a shared monopoly.

The bottom line is, all these record companies are fixing prices that will benefit them in the long run.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  9. Apr 8, 2004 #8
    I realize that. I was just saying that in the long term, that type of thing might not last due to competition of even outside companies. I also think that in the end, it might not even benifit the companies to charge that much and they might see their revenues fall. ( Just look dduardo's first post :wink: )

10. Apr 8, 2004 #9
    Or the Government can intervene and file an antitrust suit. We'd probably see flying saucers first before that even happens :wink:

11. Apr 8, 2004 #10
    Sadly :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?