Downward acceleration greater than G concept

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of acceleration due to gravity and its effects on objects, specifically in regards to falling and rotation. The participants explore examples such as a roller coaster and a rocket, and also discuss the maximum velocity an object can reach due to air resistance. They also mention the possibility of achieving a greater acceleration than g through rotation, which could cause uneven acceleration on an object and potentially cause it to break.
mmfoley
Hello,

I am taking a Natural and Physical Sciences course. As math and sciences aren't my strongest subjects, I am really struggling, reading things over and over again, and they are just not sinking in. For example, I understand the acceleration of gravity - g. I think that something can have a downward acceleration greater than g, - at least I think this is correct based on my notes, but I do not understand exactly how.

Would this be an example? – When an object first falls it is unbalanced, until the force of air resistance is large enough to balance the acceleration of gravity. So until it balances out, it is falling faster g. Since the object is falling down, this would mean that while unbalanced it has a downward acceleration greater than g.

Help!

Thank you!
mmfoley

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that is an example of something falling slower than g.

The most common example of something that is 'falling' faster than g is a rolloer coaster in a loop. With sufficient speed, the roller coaster will be accelerating at faster than g at the top of the loop so the coaster is pushing down on the passengers even though they are upside down.

Thank you

Thank you! I was at least on the right track, I just got it backwards.

Actually the objeect isn't falling faster than g. It's speed is increasing but g (the accelaration) stays the same. It's no problem to fall faster than g, for example if you throw yourself out of an airplane you will be accelerating at a constant 9.8 m/s^2, one g (If there was no air to provide resistance).

If you have a rocket strapped to your back, point it towards the sky (That is, point the exhaust at the sky) and fire it you'll then be accelerating at a rate of one g plus whatever accelaration the rocket provides.

Likewise, if you point it at the ground and fire it you'll accelarate at a rate of one g minus the accelaration the rocket provides. And if the rocket can provide enough accelaration, you'll stop dead in mid air and possibly start flying up again if the thrust from the rocket is enough.

What you were talking about in your question is terminal velocity, the biggest velocity an object can have before it can't go any faster because of the resistance from the atmosphere on Earth. I don't know how the physics courses are where you're from, but my guess is you don't have to know anything about that, basic classical physics doesn't take into account things like air resistance and stuff like that.

Hope that helped some,
Gunnar.

Edit: Too late. Oh well. :)

Anyone know how to achieve an acceleration due to gravity greater than G on a single, rigid object, with gravity being the only acting force?

Last edited:
Originally posted by russ_watters
Anyone know how to achieve an acceleration due to gravity greater than G on a single, rigid object, with gravity being the only acting force?
Rotation?

That would be my guess. If an object were rotating as it fell, the center would fall at g and the acceleration at all the other points would vary as the object rotated.

Cool question Russ.

How would rotation affect this? Isn't the net internal effect zero?
Perhaps I am missing something here.

The acceleration of the center of mass would be equal to g, but other parts (such as the tip of a rod) could certainly experience acceleration greater than g. Even if there was not net displacement and the rod was just oscillating back and forth (like a pendulum), parts of the stick would have an accelerationg greater than g at certain points of the oscillation. Does that make sense?

Ah, indeed. Thanks.

Originally posted by ophecleide
The acceleration of the center of mass would be equal to g, but other parts (such as the tip of a rod) could certainly experience acceleration greater than g. Even if there was not net displacement and the rod was just oscillating back and forth (like a pendulum), parts of the stick would have an accelerationg greater than g at certain points of the oscillation. Does that make sense?
That's the one I was looking for. You guys ever see a large tower fall over? Because of the uneven acceleration, they generally break in half.

A good site with pics: http://aci.mta.ca/TheUmbrella/Physics/P3401/Investigations/ChimneyISM.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does "downward acceleration greater than G" mean?

"Downward acceleration greater than G" refers to a situation where an object is accelerating downwards at a rate greater than the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, which is 9.8 meters per second squared. This can happen in situations where the object is experiencing an external force, such as being pushed or pulled downwards.

2. Can an object have a downward acceleration greater than G on Earth?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have a downward acceleration greater than G on Earth. This can occur in situations where the object is being acted upon by an external force, such as a rocket or a person jumping off a high platform.

3. How is downward acceleration greater than G calculated?

Downward acceleration greater than G can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force acting on the object, and m is the mass of the object. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

4. What are some real-life examples of downward acceleration greater than G?

Some examples of real-life situations where an object may experience a downward acceleration greater than G include skydiving, bungee jumping, and roller coasters. In all of these cases, the object is accelerating downwards at a rate greater than the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What are the effects of downward acceleration greater than G on the human body?

Downward acceleration greater than G can have various effects on the human body, depending on the magnitude and duration of the acceleration. In extreme cases, it can cause discomfort, loss of consciousness, and even injury. This is why proper safety measures, such as harnesses and restraints, are important in activities where downward acceleration greater than G is involved.