1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dr. Kaku Chat Review

1. Worthwhile

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Not Worthwhile

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Did not participate

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. Dec 23, 2004 #1
    Please lend us on your thoughts about the chat. How were the times, dates, questions and format...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2004 #2
    Transcripts

I would just like to say that the 3 sessions were very intellectually entertaining, and hope to be able to participate in more of such sessions in the near future.
    However, are there any transcripts of the 3 sessions available?

4. Dec 24, 2004 #3
    I would have loved to participate but I wasn't around I am going to try to catch the next one

5. Dec 24, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought it was great.

6. Dec 24, 2004 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunaltly a reality of life reared its ugly head. I had to work, and evitently the corprate firewall blocked the chat room. I could not get in.

I have read through the transcripts. They are a good read. Do you suppose it would be worthwhile do a bit of clean up to make them a bit more readable?

7. Dec 24, 2004 #6
    I think it was an overall success, although I had originally been skirting around, waiting for the Time of events, I posted a question on the first day/session, but could not handle the waiting! This was more of a fault of mine, but the question was logged and it appeared the next day.

It waould have been great to have a seperate browser, with the text more readable, as has allready been relayed, but my overall opinion of Q+A's, is very interesting and enjoyable, well done.

P.S who is going to be the next target? :surprised aim high shoot low!

8. Dec 24, 2004 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I think the discussion was very worth while and I learned a few things. The key to having a succesful chat session is to have good questions. For next time I would like to see a thread opened up before hand where people can submit their questions ahead of time if they can't show up or ask for help developing a question. Moderators can then pick the best questions from this thread and submit it to questionbot.

9. Dec 24, 2004 #8
    Agreed, one of the problems was they litterally told me the dates last thursday, which gave me three days to prepare, most of the time was spent finding a chat applet.

10. Dec 24, 2004 #9
    I am looking for the transcripts and have not found them yet. Where are they located? thanks, nc

11. Dec 24, 2004 #10

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

12. Dec 24, 2004 #11
    thanks
    nightcleaner

13. Dec 24, 2004 #12

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have cleaned up the text of the events and posted a more readable format. I made every effort to preserve all of Dr Kaku's words and the questions asked.

14. Dec 24, 2004 #13
    hahaha I did it at the same time you were doing it integral by the time i finished the first you had 1-3 translated, I still posted my link... I put them into word format.

15. Dec 24, 2004 #14
  16. Dec 24, 2004 #15
  17. Dec 24, 2004 #16
    I will atempt to archive the chats as they occur so General Physics doesn't turn into Sticky land, I also helped to make the chats readable... thx to integral as well... by the time i did one the long way Integral had done all 3... I just cleaned them up 2 and 3 a bit more and put them in word...

They will be available at www.utoe.org
    -Downloads
    --General
    ---Dr. M Kaku Chat

18. Dec 24, 2004 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ha! Another case of great minds think alike. I simply copy pasted into note pad and chopped out the extra text. I noted that the text is in a comma separated format, thought I might be able to use Excel to delete a lot of it. Unfortunately Excel was unable to differentiate between commas separating data fields and commas embedded in the text. So I still had a significant amount of hand editing to clean it up.

It went surprisingly fast and I got to do a through read of the text!

I hope you were able to leverage off of my work!

19. Dec 24, 2004 #18
    lol for the first one I did it all by myself... in word using search and replace technique for the second and third chat i was able to use what you did.

20. Dec 24, 2004 #19
    Nice work Integral and Tom! I will replace your copies with my raw versions. Also soon I will send the chat transcripts to the kaku forums for permanent recidency :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?