Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dr. Kaku Chat Review

1. Worthwhile

9 vote(s)
  2. Not Worthwhile

0 vote(s)
  3. Did not participate

8 vote(s)
  1. Dec 23, 2004 #1
    Please lend us on your thoughts about the chat. How were the times, dates, questions and format...
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2004 #2

I would just like to say that the 3 sessions were very intellectually entertaining, and hope to be able to participate in more of such sessions in the near future.
    However, are there any transcripts of the 3 sessions available?
  4. Dec 24, 2004 #3
    I would have loved to participate but I wasn't around I am going to try to catch the next one
  5. Dec 24, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought it was great.
  6. Dec 24, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunaltly a reality of life reared its ugly head. I had to work, and evitently the corprate firewall blocked the chat room. I could not get in.

I have read through the transcripts. They are a good read. Do you suppose it would be worthwhile do a bit of clean up to make them a bit more readable?
  7. Dec 24, 2004 #6
    I think it was an overall success, although I had originally been skirting around, waiting for the Time of events, I posted a question on the first day/session, but could not handle the waiting! This was more of a fault of mine, but the question was logged and it appeared the next day.

It waould have been great to have a seperate browser, with the text more readable, as has allready been relayed, but my overall opinion of Q+A's, is very interesting and enjoyable, well done.

P.S who is going to be the next target? :surprised aim high shoot low!
  8. Dec 24, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus

I think the discussion was very worth while and I learned a few things. The key to having a succesful chat session is to have good questions. For next time I would like to see a thread opened up before hand where people can submit their questions ahead of time if they can't show up or ask for help developing a question. Moderators can then pick the best questions from this thread and submit it to questionbot.
  9. Dec 24, 2004 #8
    Agreed, one of the problems was they litterally told me the dates last thursday, which gave me three days to prepare, most of the time was spent finding a chat applet.
  10. Dec 24, 2004 #9
    I am looking for the transcripts and have not found them yet. Where are they located? thanks, nc
  11. Dec 24, 2004 #10

Staff Emeritus

12. Dec 24, 2004 #11
  13. Dec 24, 2004 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have cleaned up the text of the events and posted a more readable format. I made every effort to preserve all of Dr Kaku's words and the questions asked.
  14. Dec 24, 2004 #13
    hahaha I did it at the same time you were doing it integral by the time i finished the first you had 1-3 translated, I still posted my link... I put them into word format.
  15. Dec 24, 2004 #14
  16. Dec 24, 2004 #15
  17. Dec 24, 2004 #16
    I will atempt to archive the chats as they occur so General Physics doesn't turn into Sticky land, I also helped to make the chats readable... thx to integral as well... by the time i did one the long way Integral had done all 3... I just cleaned them up 2 and 3 a bit more and put them in word...

They will be available at www.utoe.org
    ---Dr. M Kaku Chat
  18. Dec 24, 2004 #17

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ha! Another case of great minds think alike. I simply copy pasted into note pad and chopped out the extra text. I noted that the text is in a comma separated format, thought I might be able to use Excel to delete a lot of it. Unfortunately Excel was unable to differentiate between commas separating data fields and commas embedded in the text. So I still had a significant amount of hand editing to clean it up.

It went surprisingly fast and I got to do a through read of the text!

I hope you were able to leverage off of my work!
  19. Dec 24, 2004 #18
    lol for the first one I did it all by myself... in word using search and replace technique for the second and third chat i was able to use what you did.
  20. Dec 24, 2004 #19
    Nice work Integral and Tom! I will replace your copies with my raw versions. Also soon I will send the chat transcripts to the kaku forums for permanent recidency :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?