Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dr. May, I Presume

1. Aug 23, 2007 #1

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Success!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How cool is that? :approve:

I thank him for taking a break and making some excellent music.

4. Aug 23, 2007 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Aug 23, 2007 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Way cool, though I am probably more impressed by the fact that he and his father built his signature red guitar together. I have done a lot of guitar repairs, tune-ups, and re-frets, and there is a lot that can go wrong, resulting in a tonally dead or "spotty" instrument. His signature tone is impressive and recognizable even to people with just a passing involvement in music. Play us a tune, Dr. May!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  6. Aug 23, 2007 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that's wonderful!

7. Aug 24, 2007 #6
    That's pretty awesome! A surprise to me though. I have always loved Queen for their music, but little did I know that May was also into academics. :smile:

8. Aug 24, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now, where did that thread go about scientists needing an image change? I had heard a little while ago that he was working on his dissertation. It's good to get academics publicized in such a positive light.

9. Aug 24, 2007 #8
    *Looks at the Queen poster right next to me*

Yup :approve:

10. Aug 24, 2007 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I get tired of seeing some of those moronic celebrity worship magazines and shows that tell you that so and so had 15 PhD's before becoming a supermodel-party girl or boy band member.

It's very nice to see a full blown mega celebrity that can actually walk the walk. I think it's even more impressive that he picked up right where he left off after a long break. I took a 10 year break between undergrad and grad school and I had a lot of relearning to do. Props to Dr. May.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?