Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dr. Who returns!

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Coming to the SciFi channel March 17th, at 9:00 PM.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/scifi.shtml

One of my college physics professors got me hooked on Who. We even named a dog after the good doctor; Who that is. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Far out! :cool: :biggrin:

I watched it with my father, starting in the 60's. Tom Baker is my favorite Dr. (the 4th). And I was very impressed with Romana (Mary Tamm)!

4. Mar 4, 2006 #3
    Series one of the new Dr. Who got some very good reviews on the BBC.
    I watched a couple of episodes because some of it was filmed in my home town

5. Mar 18, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who watched?

It scared me a few times - when they started with the aliens, I was afraid we were in for a Star Wars bar scene - but all in all I thought it was pretty good. And I really liked the last human. :biggrin:

6. Mar 19, 2006 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I watched the premiere this past friday, and to tell you the truth, the show was a bit silly for my taste.

7. Mar 19, 2006 #6

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You guys are behind, these 13 episodes were on CBC in Canada last year, I think at roughly the same as the BBC premiere (iirc) :tongue:.

Hard to top the old Baker and Davison incarnations in my opinion, but Eccleston did a good job. I miss the old days when the bad guys ray guns involved the screen flashing, then the victim would be shown as a negative exposure as they keeled over and died. The old cheapo special effects were more charming than run of the new run of the mill computer effects, but I guess they had to change with the times. I did enjoy the new season though.

8. Mar 19, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you ever watch the old series?

9. Mar 19, 2006 #8

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Ivan, no I haven't

10. Mar 19, 2006 #9

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It wasn't bad. Worthy of its traditition.
    I did get a bit of chuckle from the scene with the giant fans, though. It reminded me of the "chompers" scene from Galaxy Quest. ( I mean, they couldn't have put the walkway so that it passed under the fan blades?)

11. Mar 19, 2006 #10
    I used to love Dr Who as a child, although it scared me stupid :)

12. Mar 19, 2006 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Part of the charm of Dr Who has always been that it's soooooo bad. :biggrin: As Janus pointed out, this was worthy of the tradition.

13. Mar 20, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought exactly the same thing!

All in all I was really happy with the effort. In fact... I watched it again tonight. :redface: This seems to have real potential given time for plot and character development. As a first pass...pretty good; it could end up as the best Who series ever.

I would love to write a Dr Who plot. Wouldn't that be fun!!!

14. Mar 20, 2006 #13
    I think I might have watched some of it tonight. There was a very cute blonde girl being chased by manekins. This guy who saved her explained they were some sort of sentient plastic from another planet. I thought "Sentient Plastic? That's pretty original. Very cute girl? That's worth watching."

15. Mar 20, 2006 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

Is that Billie Piper? Failed pop star. lol. I always wanted to watch the new Dr. Who cos I remember hiding behind my sofa while dad watched the older version. I could only stand the cybermen and the daleks. In fact the music scared me the most.

I don't think I watched a single episode of the new version :(

16. Mar 20, 2006 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cute girls are a Who standard. And, actually, I think all plastic was made sentient by the signal transmitted by the ferris wheel.

Luckily the Dr had his anti-plastic. :rofl:

17. Mar 21, 2006 #16

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

18. Mar 22, 2006 #17

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

I used to watch the old series whenever I could find it and I enjoyed it a lot. I also watched the SciFi premiere and I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed at first. It did finally take off and the second episode with the end of the Earth was good. I'm glad they kept to the original with his sonic screwdriver and using the same soundeffect for the Tardis (I loved that part). I'm hoping to see K-9 re-appear, but perhaps that wishing for too much.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the female lead. The thing that struck me most was that if this show had been made in the US, she would most likely not have been cast as the female lead. Nothing against her and I'm not saying this is right, but she didn't fit the typical type-cast sci-fi female that has an athletic build and maybe it's just me but she wasn't as attractive I would have expected. Now the Doctor wasn't a rugged guy either, but he never was in the previous shows so I wasn't expecting that. I'm not trying to be shallow here, just giving my perspective from having watched sci-fi for many years. Overall, I liked it and I think I'll watch it again. Hopefully it will live up to the classic.

19. Mar 26, 2006 #18
    Dr Who?

I've only seen one episode of the new Doctor Who, but it was pretty good anyone else watch it?

20. Mar 26, 2006 #19

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

21. May 13, 2006 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, the episode with the nano-genes was good. :rofl:

I really like the tone they are setting. It still feels like the doctor, but he is quite a bit more interesting than most; maybe even better than Baker...? Dare I even suggest such a thing? :biggrin:

They seem to be playing up the emotional side of being the sole survivor of a time war, to which I'm sure we can all relate, but the drama scares me a little. I fear Captain Kirk may appear at any moment. :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?