Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dr. Who

1. Jun 10, 2007 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I just started watching this show on DVD recently and I have to admit that it is a really entertaining show. It's fun, full of action and suspense, and it doesn't need ridiculous amounts of special effects in order to be a good show. Have any of you ever watched it? What do you guys think about it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you talking about the old doctor who or the "new" show (i.e. the ones with christopher eccleston or david tennant). Either way, I like doctor who.. although, I prefer the newer series. It's a highlight of saturday night tv!

4. Jun 11, 2007 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I watched Tom Baker in the '70s and also enjoy the new shows. The quality of production of the new shows is sigfigantly higher, which is a good thing. Good stories, no matter what.

5. Jun 11, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been a Who fan since 1986 and have watched much of the old series - about five of the Doctors [+2 now]. IMO the new series is the best of all.

We had a dog name Dr. Who. :biggrin:

6. Jun 11, 2007 #5

Art

I think it's a great family show. It's designed to appeal to both adults and children though my kids found the last epsidode, 'Weeping Angels', a little too scary :biggrin:
    I heard recently there are moves afoot to also revive Blakes 7, another great cult series.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  7. Jun 11, 2007 #6

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have watched Dr Who from the first programme in 1963.

I liked the concept in last week's BBC programme, "Blink" (Weeping Angels), of the idea that these creatures were "quantum locked" and frozen statuesque-like if observed, which is why they have to hide their eyes as if weeping because they cannot even observe each other! Perhaps we could discuss this on the QP Forum!

Garth

8. Jun 11, 2007 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

9. Jun 11, 2007 #8

J77

I guess Peter Davison's the Doctor I remember (I was born in 77) -- those parts of the series were very SF.

Though, Bonnie as the companion is my earliest remembered :confused:

10. Jun 11, 2007 #9

matthyaouw

Gold Member

11. Jun 11, 2007 #10

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I just got into the new series and think it is great! Chris Eccelston and Dave Tennant are both great actors! One episode out of the new series I liked was the Wolf Episode("Tooth and Claw") with Queen Victoria. That episode was great, great characters, great plot, perfect mix of humor and action!

12. Jun 11, 2007 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

13. Jun 12, 2007 #12
    I liked the ones with Christopher Eccleston the best. He acted really great, with a lot of depth. David Tennant is a bit shallow compared to him, but he's still a good actor (he mumbles a bit when he talks though). :smile:

14. Jun 12, 2007 #13
    I used to like it but now the little things grate a bit too much. I guess I just outgrew it.

15. Jun 17, 2007 #14

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about the new one this week!!! What a cliffhanger. What am I supposed to do until next week????!!!!!! I gotta see the rest!!!

16. Jun 17, 2007 #15

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think my fav epsiode of the new series is season 2 "Girl in the Fireplace". Nice ending.

17. Jun 17, 2007 #16

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean the one shown on BBC on saturday-- "utopia"? It was brilliant, and such a cliffhanger! Don't get your hopes up for any final answers next week though, as it's a three part season finale! :wink:

18. Jun 17, 2007 #17

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

NOOO!!!:eek:

19. Jul 29, 2007 #18
    Baker (of the ones I've seen) was mine too---....k-9 put a twist into it that I didn't like though (he handled too many of the 'problems'--he did have some likeable attributes though, still)--

The show puts some 'thought experiments' into a visual display (like Star Trek) even if it is SF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?