Dr. Who is a really entertaining show

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
In summary: It's a great family show. It's designed to appeal to both adults and children though my kids found the last epsidode, 'Weeping Angels', a little too scary :biggrin:I heard recently there are moves afoot to also revive Blakes 7, another great cult series.I have watched Dr Who from the first programme in 1963.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I just started watching this show on DVD recently and I have to admit that it is a really entertaining show. It's fun, full of action and suspense, and it doesn't need ridiculous amounts of special effects in order to be a good show. Have any of you ever watched it? What do you guys think about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about the old doctor who or the "new" show (i.e. the ones with christopher eccleston or david tennant). Either way, I like doctor who.. although, I prefer the newer series. It's a highlight of saturday night tv!

I watched Tom Baker in the '70s and also enjoy the new shows. The quality of production of the new shows is sigfigantly higher, which is a good thing. Good stories, no matter what.

I've been a Who fan since 1986 and have watched much of the old series - about five of the Doctors [+2 now]. IMO the new series is the best of all.

We had a dog name Dr. Who. :biggrin:

I think it's a great family show. It's designed to appeal to both adults and children though my kids found the last epsidode, 'Weeping Angels', a little too scary :biggrin:
I heard recently there are moves afoot to also revive Blakes 7, another great cult series.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have watched Dr Who from the first programme in 1963.

I liked the concept in last week's BBC programme, "Blink" (Weeping Angels), of the idea that these creatures were "quantum locked" and frozen statuesque-like if observed, which is why they have to hide their eyes as if weeping because they cannot even observe each other! Perhaps we could discuss this on the QP Forum!

Garth

Last edited:
I guess Peter Davison's the Doctor I remember (I was born in 77) -- those parts of the series were very SF.

Though, Bonnie as the companion is my earliest remembered :confused:

Last edited:
Art said:
I think it's a great family show. It's designed to appeal to both adults and children though my kids found the last epsidode, 'Weeping Angels', a little too scary :biggrin:
I loved that episode. I was impressed they managed to make it sufficiently creepy without using any special effects whatsoever.

I just got into the new series and think it is great! Chris Eccelston and Dave Tennant are both great actors! One episode out of the new series I liked was the Wolf Episode("Tooth and Claw") with Queen Victoria. That episode was great, great characters, great plot, perfect mix of humor and action!

I liked the ones with Christopher Eccleston the best. He acted really great, with a lot of depth. David Tennant is a bit shallow compared to him, but he's still a good actor (he mumbles a bit when he talks though). :smile:

I used to like it but now the little things grate a bit too much. I guess I just outgrew it.

What about the new one this week! What a cliffhanger. What am I supposed to do until next week?! I got to see the rest!

I think my fav epsiode of the new series is season 2 "Girl in the Fireplace". Nice ending.

G01 said:
What about the new one this week! What a cliffhanger. What am I supposed to do until next week?! I got to see the rest!

You mean the one shown on BBC on saturday-- "utopia"? It was brilliant, and such a cliffhanger! Don't get your hopes up for any final answers next week though, as it's a three part season finale! :wink:

cristo said:
You mean the one shown on BBC on saturday-- "utopia"? It was brilliant, and such a cliffhanger! Don't get your hopes up for any final answers next week though, as it's a three part season finale! :wink:

NOOO!:eek:

Astronuc said:
I watched Dr. Who on and off during the 1960's with my father and then in the 70's and 80's.

My favorite was the fourth Doctor played by Tom Baker (1974-1981).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Who#The_Doctor

Baker (of the ones I've seen) was mine too---...k-9 put a twist into it that I didn't like though (he handled too many of the 'problems'--he did have some likeable attributes though, still)--

The show puts some 'thought experiments' into a visual display (like Star Trek) even if it is SF.

What is the premise of "Dr. Who"?

"Dr. Who" follows the adventures of a time-traveling alien known as the Doctor, who travels through space and time in a blue police box called the TARDIS. He often brings along human companions as he fights against various villains and saves the universe.

Why is "Dr. Who" considered an entertaining show?

"Dr. Who" is considered entertaining because it combines elements of science fiction, adventure, and drama. The show has a long history and a dedicated fan base, with each episode featuring a unique and exciting storyline filled with action, humor, and suspense.

Who is the main character in "Dr. Who"?

The main character in "Dr. Who" is the Doctor, a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey. He is a mysterious and eccentric character who can regenerate his body when he is close to death, allowing him to live for hundreds of years and take on different forms.

How many seasons of "Dr. Who" are there?

As of 2021, there have been 13 seasons of "Dr. Who" since its revival in 2005. The original series ran from 1963 to 1989, with a TV movie in 1996. Each season typically consists of 12-13 episodes, with some specials in between.

Can anyone watch "Dr. Who" or do you need to have prior knowledge of the show?

While it is helpful to have some knowledge of the show's history and characters, anyone can enjoy "Dr. Who" regardless of their prior knowledge. Each episode is its own standalone adventure, and new viewers can easily jump in and follow along with the story.