Draft Poll: What's Your Stance on the Iraq War and Potential Draft?

• News
  • Thread starter member 5645
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Draft Poll
In summary, the conversation discussed opinions on the Iraq war, whether or not the participants would support the war and serve in the military if drafted, and other miscellaneous thoughts on war and duty. Some participants expressed their lack of support for the war, while others mentioned their past military service and sense of duty. One participant also brought up the concept of pre-emption and its contrast with the ideals of the country's founders. Overall, opinions varied and some participants also shared unrelated thoughts about cookies and other topics.
member 5645
Draft poll...

1>Did you support the war in Iraq?
2>Do you still? (if applicable)
3>If drafted, would you show up, or dodge?
4> Is your reasoning based almost fully on the Iraq war (if you would dodge)?
5> anything else you want to comment on?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) No
2) No
3) Show up and go to jail, probably(not that it matters, I'm ineligable for the draft, I think...or at least I could convince them pretty quickly)
4) Yes
5) War sucks

Originally posted by phatmonky
Yes
No
I'll show up anyway. I am 26 so when that time comes I hope I am over the age limit.
No. I am an only son, nobody will look after my mother.
I hope we find Bin Laden.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. There's not much call for women my age in the draft, but if I were called I would show up...well..for this war, not neccesarily for any or even all wars though.
4. nope
5. I think it would be hard for me to watch either of my sons get drafted and go off to war. I really can't say how or what I would do or feel. I do know that when the WTC was hit I was deeply concerned about my just turned 18 year old son being drafted in the future.

1. No.
2. I do now.
3. Show up. If they are drafting 70 year olds the country is really in trouble!
4. N/A Wars I have lived through WWII, Korea, Vietnam, GulfI, GulfII.

5. Wars come along; they aren't always just. Support our troops anyway.

1. Yes.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. n/a

As an aside, draft questions aren't really all that pertinent in the US. We won't have one unless we get into another world war.

1. NO
2. NO
3. YES, I WOULD SERVE
4. N/A

+ if you mean the US-lead invasion, no.
+ NA
+ as I'm not a US citizen, I think the answer to this is NA
+ NA
+ this is a silly 'poll', at least for anyone who's not a US citizen. However, I do have some questions: does anyone know what were the personal motivations of the US, UK, Australian, French, German, Spanish (etc) citizens who joined Al Q/Taliban etc? (IIRC, several were captured by US-lead forces in Afghanistan, and some in Iraq too). Are there any 'islamic' groups which accept the concept of the equality of the sexes, at least in so far as ownership of property, opportunity for education/commerce/politics is concerned?

What do my questions have to do with a (US) draft and the US-lead occupation of Iraq? Only that I thought of them while reading this thread!

No. I found the notion of Iraq being an imminent threat to the USA laughable.

2>Do you still?
No.

I joined the army a few months after i turned 18. I served in the 82nd Airborne div. from '76 to '80

I must admit a certain level of disgust for those who will not serve their country in some manner. Perhaps disgust is too strong a sentiment. I simply don't understand those that have no sense of duty.

I find the policy of pre-emption to be contrary to the ideals of the founders of this nation.

No.
Right now, the lesser of two evils is supporting the war. Going in and backing down would be, to say the least, bad.
I'd quickly be shipped out of the draft office to some kind of military labs and probably have to make weapons or some other crap. I likely wouldn't be very good at it; whether that is intentional or not, only I'd know!
No, it's my own damned fault.
I like cookies?

cookiemonster

Originally asked by phatmonky
1>Did you support the war in Iraq? No.
2>Do you still? (if applicable) No, But I do support the idea of getting All American, and 'other' nationalities, troops, back to their respective Nations, alive prefferably...
3>If drafted, would you show up, or dodge? Inapplicable Canadian...well, OK, possibly Canadian, not really certain anymore...
4> Is your reasoning based almost fully on the Iraq war (if you would dodge)? Nope...wouldn't dodge either, unless I didn't believe in the legallity/righteousness(?) of the war, then maybe jail/prison...
5> anything else you want to comment on? really like the # 5 comment of HAVOC451...and Cookiemonster's # 5 too...Kat, too # 5...telling...
HUH?

hahahaha... NO

Depends what this means... I definitely don't think we should pull our troops out now.

I'd show up. I wouldn't want to, but I would.

Nope.

Not really.

1. No, I protested long and hard (I was a traitor, when I said “no weapons of mass destruction would be found – because they were non-existent).
2. No, the lies used to justify the war have been exposed.
3. If drafted, I’d smoke a joint (but not inhale), then weasel my way out of active service like the esteemed US President (courageous bloke, that George, sets a good example for your Military).
4. My reasoning is based on reality.
5. Let's stop pussy-footing about, and bring Little Bush to trial (in concurrence with "saddam's Trial" would be nice (not that Saddam's trial will ever happen). Muppet Bush is a liar.

Comments: I was called paranoid and traitor leading up to the Second Iraq War for stating that there were NO weapons of mass-destruction in Iraq. Now, it would seem, I am 100% correct.

1, If by "support" you mean that I wanted our military to destroy Iraq's government, I didn't care one way or the other.
2, We destroyed their government, "Mission Accomplished"
3, Oh I'm ready to go. All psyched up on www.globalsecurity.org.
4, There's no dodging. There's living mandatory suicide.
5, As Kerry says, "Bonjour!"

phatmonky said:

1. No.
2. No.
3. No.
4. Mainly, yes.
5. Stop trying to make Irak the 52nd state of the US and let the UN take over.

NO!

Actually YES because Iraq will crumble NOW without it!

Dodge

That and I'm not American! lol! No, war is stupid and drafts are pointless. Diplomacy is the only way nowadays!

Bad question (esp. with the people in this forum) I just hope that now that the war has been done, soemthing GOOD occurs ie. Iraq doesn't fall back into a worse state than it was in.

suyver said:
1. No.
2. No.
3. No.
4. Mainly, yes.
5. Stop trying to make Irak the 52nd state of the US and let the UN take over.

I've tried to leave this thread unresponded to, as to not set a precedent, but I have to ask what you think is the 51st? Canada or Afghanistan?

You've tried for 3 and a half hours and already gave up? ;)

suyver said:
You've tried for 3 and a half hours and already gave up? ;)

huh? I just read your quote and was curious.

phatmonky said:
I've tried to leave this thread unresponded to, as to not set a precedent, but I have to ask what you think is the 51st? Canada or Afghanistan?
Given my personal experiance, I'd Tell you Canada as clearly it is 51st (with no "elected" representation)

@phatmonky: Most of us in "old europe" tend to think of the UK as the 51st state.

Given that both, Canada, and the UK, have the same 'Head of State', maybe we should just call them both the 51st... not that I can speak like that for anyone/everyone, other then my own opinion...

suyver said:
@phatmonky: Most of us in "old europe" tend to think of the UK as the 51st state.

heh, guess the joke about Canada is stronger on this side of the pond :)

Stronger? nah! that's just South o'me, the other 50 States. (48 contigeous, and one just North-West of here)

1. What is the current status of the Iraq War?

The Iraq War officially ended in 2011 when the last remaining US troops were withdrawn. However, there are still ongoing conflicts and instability in the region.

2. What is the purpose of this draft poll?

The purpose of this draft poll is to gather public opinions and stances on the Iraq War and the potential for a draft to be reinstated.

3. Is there a possibility of a draft being reinstated for the Iraq War?

Currently, there is no official plan to reinstate the draft for the Iraq War. However, in times of war or national emergency, the US government has the authority to draft citizens into military service.

4. How has the Iraq War impacted the scientific community?

The Iraq War has had a significant impact on the scientific community, particularly in terms of research and development for military technology. It has also led to discussions and debates about the ethics of scientists working on projects that support war efforts.

5. What are the potential consequences of a draft for the Iraq War?

The consequences of a draft for the Iraq War would depend on various factors such as the duration of the war, the number of individuals drafted, and the impact on the economy and society. It could also have a significant impact on the mental and physical well-being of those drafted and their families.