Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Draft proposal - Women get ready for your equal opportunity

1. May 28, 2004 #1
    Draft proposal - Women get ready for your equal opportunity!!

SB 89 and HR 163 are pushing for the draft and expected to come into play, if they are passed, in January 2005. I'm personally against a drafted military, only because I believe it much weaker than a volunteer service.However, if it comes, I'll be signing up Jan '05

http://www.congress.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:S.89:
    http://www.congress.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:H.R.163:

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2004 #2

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you really think the bill will pass? I've been told that it's unlikely to especially in an election year.

4. May 28, 2004 #3
    There's a reason it being pushed so late in the year.
    I think there's a fair number of people pushing for it, and I'd give the odds 50/50 from the different things I've read.

I'm not wholly opposed to a draft at all - if it were even handed to people (no congressman sons getting out of it). Some mandatory civil duty would do a LOT of good. I'm mixed I guess.

5. May 28, 2004 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It is being pushed strictly for political reasons - it'll make people think there might be a draft soon (see the other thread on the subject). The US has had an all volunteer military for a good 30 years and its likely to stay that way for the forseeable future. The only legislation needed is maybe the abolishment of the selective service system. Its just a waste of money.

6. May 28, 2004 #5

Njorl

Science Advisor

What I have heard is more likely is the calling up of the IRR. If I have it right, anyone who has ever been in the uniformed military is in the IRR. There is no time limit. While most older guys would be in no danger, if you have the skills they want, they'll probably take you.
    Njorl

7. May 28, 2004 #6

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

my fiance was in the IRR, but received his discharge papers a year ago. i believe once you are discharged, you are off the hook.

americans shouldn't be so shocked about a draft being reinstated. many countries around the world require both men and women to be in military for a couple of years. although it sounds harsh, it might be what a lot of americans need-a little boot camp.

8. May 28, 2004 #7

I LOVE the idea of a mandatory draft for every citizen for 2 years after high school. 18-20 == time to your country.

9. May 28, 2004 #8

Evo

There is a mandatory draft in Italy, but you can decide between military service or public service. My friend opted for public service and spent his time working at a school for the blind. You have to begin your service by your 26th birthday.

10. May 28, 2004 #9
    I love it!
    Our draft allows for the same thing, albeit, it's a tougher sell for objector status here instead of a straight open choice.

11. May 28, 2004 #10
    If I remember correctly, it works like this:

All soldiers have a statutory 8-year service obligation, which begins when they enter the service. (Active duty and Reservist)

Lifers (20 years in service) can retire with an annuity. These individuals are then transferred to the inactive reserves, until they reach their 30th year of service. While in the inactive reserves they can be recalled.

12. May 28, 2004 #11

Evo

I believe you have to file as an objector there also, but it's not a big deal like it is in the US.

13. May 28, 2004 #12

russ_watters

That is correct. The 8 year time limit starts the day you enlist (so someone who is discharged after 8 years does not enter the inactive reserve).

14. May 28, 2004 #13

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

and boy am i glad my fiance served his 8 years already...

seriously though, i think women should be included in the draft just as much as men nowadays. no, they may not have strengths like men to do certain tasks, but there are so many other jobs in a war they can do. if women want equal pay, equal rights, etc, then they should definitely have equal responsibilities.

15. May 28, 2004 #14
    Just look at their accomplishments in WWII as WAACS, WOWs, WASPs, and WAVES. Working in factories producing munitions, flying supply C-47 transport planes, drove military trucks, maintained tanks (the ones who were mechanically inclined), and ship construction.

I dont think they have done frontline service though, they left that to the male soldiers.

16. May 29, 2004 #15

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

A mandatory draft is a blatant violation of human rights. Civic duty is one thing, but no one should be forced to fight, especially in a war that they feel is unjust.

17. May 29, 2004 #16

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

so is war...

18. May 29, 2004 #17
    I'm Canadian so it wouldn't affect me as much. I do disagree with the draft proposal though. Contributing to the economy as a fully functioning citizen is a public service enough. I'd put the chance of the draft happening at 20%.

The draft seems like a foolish thing to reinstate. If it was put into effect the anarchy that would erupt would be interesting from a darkened perspective though.

What are the political stances on the draft from Bush and Kerry?

19. May 29, 2004 #18

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So let me get this straight, phatmonkey... a person should be required to fight for his/her country at age of 18, eh? People don't choose which countries they are born in; I was an American citizen at age 18, whether I liked it or not. There was no way for me to change that citizenship prior to my 18th birthday even if I had wanted to, since minors can't even sign their own paperwork.

So I'd be trapped by a government I didn't choose and forced to fight in a war I didn't agree with, perhaps losing my life in the process. This is your concept of a government doing "a lot of good" for its citizens?

That's frankly really disturbing.

- Warren

20. May 29, 2004 #19
    I didn't even think about that chroot. That makes the draft proposal seem even more ludacris.

For those wondering about more information you might want to check out the CNN website. The general military stance on the issue is unfavorable and the pentagon disagree's with the fact the Ranger seems to think the majority isn't probably representated. In short, the proposal doesn't look like it's going to happen.

21. May 29, 2004 #20

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

And? Do you justify one injustice by creating another?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?