Drag and time to slow down -__-

• Thread starter FancyNut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drag Time
In summary, the car's speed drops to 18.0 m/s after 1.58 m wide, 1.44 m high, 1300 kg car hits a very slick patch of ice while going 20.0 m/s
FancyNut
drag and time to slow down... and apparent weight. -__-

A 1.58 m wide, 1.44 m high, 1300 kg car hits a very slick patch of ice while going 20.0 m/s. Air resistance is not negligible.

If friction is neglected, how long will it take until the car's speed drops to 18.0 m/s?

Ok drag is equal to = 1/4 * A * v^2

v^2 = 400 and A = 1.44*1.58

I divided this drag by the mass to get acceleration in the x direction and then used this equation:

[tex]v_f = v_i + a t[/tex]

t here is delta t...

final velocity is what I want = 18 and initial is 20 while acceleration is the one I got from analyzing the drag force...

I get 11.4 seconds and it's wrong. :cry:

I did it again and again to make sure there are no errors but nothing changed.

[EDIT]

btw does anybody know how to get the mass from a chart of apparent weight vs time? I know it's w/g but I only have apparent weight and not weight... I can't tell when it's equal to the real weight. (when a = 0 but I can't tell from the chart).

Here's the chart:

weight.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The rate of deceleration is not constant as you assumed. Also, where did the factor of 1/4 come from?

(1/4 * A * v^2 ) <--- equation in my text for drag...

and if deacceleration is not constant... how can I calculate the time?

You'll have to integrate

[tex]\frac {dv}{dt} = - \frac {A}{4M} v^2[/tex]

Tide said:
You'll have to integrate

[tex]\frac {dv}{dt} = - \frac {A}{4M} v^2[/tex]

ok so integrating that would result in the same drag equation but [tex]v^2[/tex] becomes [tex]\frac {v^3}{3}[/tex] but since acceleration is not constant I can't use the kinematic equations to solve for delta t...

[edit]

now that I think about it I'm supposed to get an equation for velocity in t right? after getting that equation I'll just plug the velocity 18 to get t... :confused:

[edit2]

ok integrating the derivative of velocity (which is acceleration) gives me the original equation for velocity right? I just plugged in 18 in that equation I integrated and the time is still wrong... :(

Last edited:
you integration is wrong; try to rearrange the equation tide gave you so that v terms is together with dv and dt is at the other side of the equation.

I got several equations and all of them were wrong.. :cry:

re-arranging that equation gives me this.. right?

[tex]v = \frac {-4 m}{A t}[/tex]

do I need to integrate that?

[edit]integrate the the t?

this sucks. Our course is supposed to be calculus-based but out of 10 HW problems only 1 has to do with calculus... and of course the text barely goes over problems that need calculus. And yes I'm trying to save (a little) face. :(

Last edited:
[tex]\int_{20}^{v} -\frac{4m}{Av^2} dv = \int_{0}^{t} dt[/tex]
Know how to integrate this ?

Leong said:
[tex]\int_{20}^{v} -\frac{4m}{Av^2} dv = \int_{0}^{t} dt[/tex]
Know how to integrate this ?

no. :(

Is there any other way to solve the problem? the course I'm taking uses VERY easy and simple calculus in the rare occasions it's needed... so there must be another way. =\

there is other way of course but it is more complicated . something like alternative to integration, numerical methods. ok, i will integrate for you . tide must not be very happy with this.
[tex]\frac{4m}{A}[\frac{1}{v}-\frac{1}{20}]=t[/tex]

Leong said:
there is other way of course but it is more complicated . something like alternative to integration, numerical methods. ok, i will integrate for you . tide must not be very happy with this.
[tex]\frac{4m}{A}[\frac{1}{v}-\frac{1}{20}]=t[/tex]

the time I get is still wrong...

bah forget about it and thanks a lot man. I'll ask my teacher next week. The guy hates me but I hope not enough to refuse. :biggrin:

is it 12.7 s?

Leong said:
is it 12.7 s?

I got 13.7...

*types in 12.7*

it's correct.

*dies*

[edit] my mistake was rounding/significant figures. and yes I'm not dead. >_<

Last edited:

1. How does drag affect an object's time to slow down?

Drag is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. This force can cause an object to slow down by reducing its speed and changing its direction.

2. What factors affect the amount of drag an object experiences?

The amount of drag an object experiences can be affected by its shape, size, and speed. Objects with larger surface areas, such as parachutes, experience more drag than objects with smaller surface areas, like bullets. Additionally, faster moving objects experience more drag than slower moving objects.

3. How does air resistance play a role in drag?

Air resistance is a type of drag that occurs when an object moves through air. It is caused by the collisions between the object and the molecules in the air. The faster an object moves, the more air resistance it experiences, resulting in a greater time to slow down.

4. Can drag be beneficial in slowing down an object?

Yes, drag can be beneficial in slowing down an object. For example, the drag created by a parachute can help a person or object safely descend to the ground. In some cases, drag can also be intentionally used to slow down vehicles, such as in the case of air brakes on airplanes.

5. How can drag be reduced to decrease an object's time to slow down?

There are a few ways to reduce drag and decrease an object's time to slow down. One way is to change the object's shape to be more streamlined, which reduces the surface area and thus the amount of drag. Another way is to decrease the object's speed, as slower moving objects experience less drag. Additionally, adding a lubricant or coating to the object's surface can reduce the amount of friction and drag it experiences.