1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drag coefficient equation

1. Dec 3, 2017 #1
    So I did a project about a year ago and I cant remember one of the things I wrote in this equation.

The equation apparently I got it from NASA's website.
    https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/dragco.html

This is my equation

CD = FL/ (0.5 * Air viscosity * V^2 * Area) = 0.4

These are the numbers I used to plug in the equation

Velocity = 13 m/s

Diameter pipe = 0.000635 m

Air viscosity = 0.00001599 kg/m*s

FL = 1*10^-9 Kg <<< this is the problem

Area of Dust = 1.96 * 10^-11 Microns

Now in NASA's website instead of FL there's a "D" and it says the "D" represents the drag.

Now I can't remember what (FL) means, is it truly a drag? and a drag of what exactly.

My project was about compressed air moving inside a small tube, and the tube has pinched hols in it to pump the compressed air to clean a surface from dust.

SO, can someone tell me what the "FL" that I wrote means? and what exactly does the number FL = 1*10^-9 Kg represent? Could it be "air drag??" I am not sure where I found this number.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2017 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure that your equation used viscosity? That looks an awful lot like a situation where it should be density. With viscosity, your units don't work out. As for what "FL" means, I have no idea. Typically, if it was a lift coefficient, then "FL" would be the lift force and that would be density on the bottom.

4. Dec 7, 2017 at 9:27 AM #3
    The equation I know for calculating air drag force is:
    F = 0.5 * rho * Cd *A * v^2

rho = air DENSITY
    Cd = coefficient of drag
    A = cross section
    v = speed in m/s

From this I get for Cd:
    Cd = F / (0.5 * rho * A * v^2)

Comparing to your equation:
    CD = FL/ (0.5 * Air viscosity * V^2 * Area)

So I think you used air density, no air viscosity.

5. Dec 10, 2017 at 11:50 AM #4
    I suspect you were using a pipe equation, not an aircraft drag coefficient equation - I hope. That would be more applicable to a flow through a small tube. In pipe head loss equations, f is the friction coefficient, and L is the Length. At least a pipe head loss equation might have something to do with the flow through a small tube, which the drag coefficient calculation for an airplane really doesn't. I'm not sure how it reduces to anything like you have though.

head loss = f L v^2 / 2 D g

D = diameter
    L = length
    f = friction coefficient
    g = gravitational accleration

http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/pipe-valve-fitting-flow/flow-in-pipes.php

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted