How can I calculate the drag force of a car on a hill?

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempted solution to find the drag coefficient (CD) of a car. The formula CD=FD/0.5xρv^2A is mentioned, but the issue arises in finding FD which requires CD. The information provided includes the car's mass, rolling resistance, cross-sectional area, air density, and hill gradient. It is suggested to use a force balance to find FD, with the given speed of 55mph and the fact that the car is on a 3.18 degree hill. The conversation ends with the suggestion that this approach will lead to finding FD and ultimately CD.
philo2005
Hi

I am currently trying to work out the drag coefficient of a car, I know the formulae to work out CD, this being CD=FD/0.5xρv^2A. I can not figure out how to find FD as the formulae for this requires CD. Is there another way to find FD? The information I have is as follows:

Car Mass: 1350 kg
Rolling Resistance: 400 N
Cross Sectional Area: 2.2 m^2
Density of Air: 1.23 kg m^-3
Hill Gradient: 3.18 degrees

To find CD the equation below is used

CD=FD/0.5xρv^2A

However to find FD CD is requiredAN ATTEMPT AT THE SOLUTION WOULD BE

?FD?/0.5 x 1.23 kg/m^3 x 24.590 m/s^2 x 2.2

It is just the FD part I am not too sure about.I would greatly apprecitate any help offered as I am now completely stumped.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you given the acceleration of the car?

If you are you can apply a force balance on the car to get the value for FD.

Hi yes I am given a speed of 55mph.

Are you given time or distance or anything to work out the acceleration or work done by the car?

Hi

Sorry you asked for acceleration in your previous post and I gave you speed :redface:

I am not given acceleration but I am told that it is on a hill that is 3.18 degrees to the horizontal.

EDIT: Sorry I already mentioned that. It maintains a constant speed of 55mph.

philo2005 said:
Hi

Sorry you asked for acceleration in your previous post and I gave you speed :redface:

I am not given acceleration but I am told that it is on a hill that is 3.18 degrees to the horizontal.

EDIT: Sorry I already mentioned that. It maintains a constant speed of 55mph.

Then you should apply a force balance on the car, since it is moving at constant speed then the resultant force on the body is zero.

If you do that then you can get FD and hence CD

1. What is drag force?

Drag force is a force that acts on an object as it moves through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the friction and resistance of the fluid against the surface of the object.

2. How is drag force calculated?

Drag force can be calculated using the formula FD = ½ρv2ACD, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, A is the cross-sectional area, and CD is the drag coefficient.

3. What is the drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of resistance an object experiences as it moves through a fluid. It is dependent on the shape, size, and surface texture of the object.

4. How does the drag coefficient affect drag force?

The drag coefficient directly affects the drag force experienced by an object. A larger drag coefficient means a higher amount of resistance and a larger drag force, while a smaller drag coefficient results in less resistance and a smaller drag force.

5. What factors can affect the drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient can be affected by the shape and size of the object, the speed of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the surface texture of the object. These factors can also change the type of drag experienced, such as form drag or skin friction drag.