Find k & a for Infinite Distance Travel w/ Drag Force F=kv^a

In summary, a coefficient bigger than zero and v are velocity. Body is given initial velocity u.Find a such that body travels infinitely large distance.
Patrikp

Homework Statement

Only force acting on body is drag force $$F=kv^a$$ where k is constant, a coefficient bigger than zero and v is velocity. Body is given initial velocity u.
Find a such that body travels infinitely large distance.[/B]

Homework Equations

$$F=kv^a$$
$$F=m(acceleration)$$
$$acceleration=dv/dt=d^2s/dt^2$$[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since distance is infinite I think that v should never reach zero.
From $$-m \frac{dv}{dt}=kv^a$$ I found v(t) :
$$v=(u^{-a+1}- \frac{kt}{m}(1-a))^{\frac{1}{-a+1}}$$
Here I looked at cases a<1,a=1,a>1 and I am not sure but i think that a=1 is good.
Is this ok?
[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,
Unless I'm wrong, if ##a=1## then ## v(t) = ue^{-\frac{k}{m}t} ## and it tends to 0 rather quickly, so it won't travel infinitely large distance.

geoffrey159 said:
Hello,
Unless I'm wrong, if ##a=1## then ## v(t) = ue^{-\frac{k}{m}t}##

How did you get this?

Patrikp said:
How did you get this?
Ok I see why a=1 doesn't work now...

Patrikp said:
Ok I see why a=1 doesn't work now...
Good, but you're still not at the answer. How v behaves with time is useful, but you need to get to how distance depends on time.
geoffrey159 said:
##v(t) = ue^{-\frac{k}{m}t}## and it tends to 0 rather quickly, so it won't travel infinitely large distance.
That's not a correct deduction.

haruspex said:
That's not a correct deduction.
Actually, it is a correct deduction.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Actually, it is a correct deduction.

Chet
It may be a correct statement, but it is not correct as a deduction.

haruspex said:
It may be a correct statement, but it is not correct as a deduction.
Right. They would have to show it mathematically.

Chet

I understand Haruspex's remark: if for example the speed was ##v(t) =\frac{1}{t}##, it would still tend to 0 as ##t## grows to infinity, but the displacement would be infinite. It doesn't prove anything.

The correct explanation would be that the displacement is :

##x(t) - x(0) = \int_0^t v(s) ds = - \frac{mu}{k}(e^{-\frac{k}{m}t} - 1)##.

Since ##|x(t)-x(0)| \le \frac{mu}{k}##, the displacement is bounded independently of time, so ##a## cannot be equal to 1.

Hello,

Try ##a=2## ! In that case, your differential equation can be written more simply: ##\frac{k}{m} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{1}{v})##;
and the displacement will grow infinitely large as time grows.

| am somewhat surprised by the sign of k. If there is mention of drag force, I would expect the force vector to oppose the velocity vector. It is fine to use magnitudes, but then I would still expect to see F = - kva o_O

and then a=2 is no good either !

1. What is "k" and "a" in the equation for Infinite Distance Travel with Drag Force?

"k" and "a" are constants in the equation that represent the drag coefficient and the exponent of velocity, respectively. The drag coefficient is a measure of the resistance an object experiences as it moves through a fluid, while the exponent of velocity indicates how the drag force changes with the object's velocity.

2. How do you determine the values of "k" and "a" for a specific object?

The values of "k" and "a" can be determined through experimentation and data analysis. By measuring the object's velocity and the drag force acting on it at various speeds, the values of "k" and "a" can be calculated using the equation F=kv^a. These values can also be found in scientific literature or databases for commonly studied objects.

3. Can the equation for Infinite Distance Travel with Drag Force be applied to all objects?

The equation can be applied to most objects that experience drag force, such as airplanes, cars, and projectiles. However, it may not be applicable to complex or irregularly-shaped objects, as the drag coefficient and exponent of velocity can vary significantly.

4. How does drag force affect the distance an object can travel?

Drag force acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down. As an object travels a longer distance, it experiences a greater amount of drag force, which decreases its velocity. This means that the object will not be able to travel an infinite distance due to the increasing drag force. The equation for Infinite Distance Travel with Drag Force takes this into account and can be used to determine the maximum distance an object can travel before coming to a stop.

5. Why is it important to consider drag force in travel and transportation?

Drag force is an important factor in travel and transportation because it affects the speed and efficiency of an object's movement. By understanding and accounting for drag force, scientists and engineers can design more aerodynamic and efficient vehicles, reducing fuel consumption and improving performance. Ignoring drag force can also lead to inaccurate predictions and calculations, which can have serious consequences in fields such as aviation and space travel.