Drag Force in pool of water

In summary, the student tried various approaches to solving the homework equation and found that the answer is 0.035 seconds to slow down.
Cmur

Homework Statement

You dive straight down into a pool of water. You hit the water with a speed of 7.0m/s, and your mass is 75kg. Assuming a drag force of the form F_D = (−1.00×10^4kg/s)*v, how long does it take you to reach 2% of your original speed? (Ignore any effects of buoyancy.)

Homework Equations

F_D = (-1.00*10^4kg/s)*v
F_g = m*g
F_net = F_D - F_g
(V_f - V_i) / a = t

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried various attempts at this solution, all of them giving the wrong answer, and I have one chance left at the question before it gives me 0%. I assumed the general approach would be as follows:

V_i = 7m/s
V_f = 0.14m/s
m = 75kg
F_g = 735N
F_D = (-10000*v) - this part is confusing me, as I'm unsure which velocity value to use, but I have come up with 68600N using the change in initial velocity and final velocity.

F_D = (-10000kg/s * (0.14m/s - 7m/s) = 68600N

Given that F_Net = 68600N - 735N,

m*a = 67865N

a=904.8667m/s^2 (this value seems incredibly large, suggesting I have done something wrong at this point)

Anyways, plugging into my kinematics equation supplied, I get: (0.14m/s - 7m/s)/-904.8667m/s^2 = 0.00758s.

This answer, obviously, is quite wrong. Which value of velocity should I be using in the F_D formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose I may as well point out all the answers in time that I have tried, all of which were wrong:

0.0074 seconds
0.37 seconds
0.014 seconds
0.0076 seconds
0.77 seconds

Well, I decided to give one last try at it after reading a similar thread, and it turns out the answer is actually 0.035 seconds to slow down. Seems very absurd, but anyone else with the same Mastering Physics question may as well try this answer.

1. What is drag force in a pool of water?

Drag force in a pool of water is the resistance force experienced by an object as it moves through the water. It is caused by the friction and pressure differences between the water and the object's surface.

2. How does drag force affect objects in a pool of water?

Drag force can significantly slow down the movement of an object in a pool of water. The larger the object's surface area, the greater the drag force it will experience, making it more difficult to move through the water.

3. What factors affect drag force in a pool of water?

The size and shape of the object, the object's speed, the density of the water, and the viscosity of the water are all factors that can affect drag force in a pool of water. Additionally, the presence of other objects or turbulence in the water can also impact drag force.

4. How is drag force calculated in a pool of water?

The formula for calculating drag force in a pool of water is Fd = 0.5 x ρ x v^2 x Cd x A, where Fd is drag force, ρ is the density of water, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the object's surface area.

5. How can drag force be minimized in a pool of water?

The most effective way to minimize drag force in a pool of water is by reducing the object's surface area and increasing its speed. This can be achieved through streamlined designs and techniques such as diving or swimming strokes. Additionally, using materials with low drag coefficients can also help reduce drag force.