1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drag Force problem

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You dive straight down into a pool of water. You hit the water with a speed of 6.5 m/s, and your mass is 65 kg.

Assuming a drag force of the form [tex]F_D=cv=(-1.2*10^4 \tfrac{kg}{s})*v[/tex], how long does it take you to reach 2% of your original speed? (Ignore any effects of buoyancy.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Logically, the answer does not make sense, nor is it correct. Where did I go wrong?
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2008 #2
    You have assumed acceleration is constant. In your equation, [tex] a = \frac{cv}{m} - g [/tex]

And then you used constant acceleration formulae. However, think about what happens as v changes.
  4. Oct 2, 2008 #3
    Ah, yes. As velocity decreases, the acceleration does as well. This is problematic for me, however, as I have not worked with non-constant accelerations. How should I go about solving this problem?
  5. Oct 2, 2008 #4
    Try this:
    solve for Fnet first, before acceleration.
  6. Oct 2, 2008 #5
    If you mean:

I can solve for it, but do I use 6.5 as my value for v? I still don't know what to do with the resulting value? Doesn't that still have the same problem of assuming constant acceleration?
  7. Oct 2, 2008 #6
    well think about this:

[tex] F = m \frac{v}{t} [/tex]

so [tex] m \frac{v_s}{t} = cv - mg [/tex]

where v_s is the one which is at 2%
    re arrange to get t.

I hope I didn't make any careless mistakes I was up all night
  8. Oct 2, 2008 #7

This is also an incorrect answer =/
  9. Oct 3, 2008 #8
    Shameless bump - still haven't resolved this question :(
  10. Oct 3, 2008 #9
    You have to use partial derivatives.

FD-mg = ma
    cv-mg = m dv/dt
    integral(dt)|0,t = (dv/ (cv/m)-g)
  11. Oct 3, 2008 #10
    Ahh catamara is totally right, we were on the right track though
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?