1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drag forces: Regime I/II

1. Aug 9, 2009 #1
    So I was looking at MIT iTunes U physics videos, and the professor talked about regimes I and II in the video about drag forces. I think regime I has to do with the temperature of the medium and regime II has to do with the density. But, I cannot find that information in my 1st semester physics textbook. Nor can I find such info using Google (perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms?:rolleyes:). Can anybody provide me with links to websites containing such stuff in them?
    Thank you very much! :D

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2009 #2
    I've never heard of this terminology before. It sounds very odd........... I'd need to see the context of how they are using these words.

4. Aug 9, 2009 #3
    There is the laminar flow regime vs. the turbulent regime. There is also the subsonic flow regime vs. supersonic. You should be able to tell which two are being distinguished from the context.

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4
    Ok, thanks for the info! :smile:

6. Aug 10, 2009 #5
    Both regimes are discussed here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics [Broken])
    Low Reynolds number drag is also called Stokes law. High Reynolds number drag (Re > 1000) corresponds to a force that is proportional to square of velocity, like an automobile at highway speeds.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Aug 10, 2009 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook