Analyzing the Motion of a Particle Under Drag Force

In summary, the problem involves a particle with a constant horizontal velocity experiencing a drag force that is proportional to the square of its speed. Two equations are given, one for the particle's speed and one for its acceleration, and the solution involves solving the equation of motion. The correct solution has been verified and it is suggested to use Newton's 2nd law and have a good understanding of differential equations. The given force equation is also noted to be incorrect.
Demonsthenes

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is traveling along the x-axis with a constant horizontal velocity v0i. When the particle passes through the origin, it experiences a Drag Force which is proportional to the square of the particle's speed (Fd = - b/v^2i... drag coefficient b.

Homework Equations

A) Show that the particle's speed is then given by v(x) = v0 e^-bx/m.

B) Show that the particle's acceleration is then given by a(x) = -(b/m)v0^2 e^-2bx/m.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried many different looks at this problem... though nothing is working...

Physics news on Phys.org
I have checked A) and B), and these are right.
I did it by solving the equation of motion.
I you have problems to solve the equation of motion, start by checking that indeed A) and B) are solutions, this may help you to see how this can be obtained by solving the equation of motion.
Next time you might not have the solution available for cheating!

Demonsthenes said:

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is traveling along the x-axis with a constant horizontal velocity v0i. When the particle passes through the origin, it experiences a Drag Force which is proportional to the square of the particle's speed (Fd = - b/v^2i... drag coefficient b.

Homework Equations

A) Show that the particle's speed is then given by v(x) = v0 e^-bx/m.

B) Show that the particle's acceleration is then given by a(x) = -(b/m)v0^2 e^-2bx/m.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried many different looks at this problem... though nothing is working...
Have you attempted to apply Newton's 2nd law? Note that the force is variable, and hence the acceleration is noit constant. Are you good in solving differential equations? I also note that your force equation is wrong...F = -bv^2 if F is proportional to the square of the speed...

Last edited:

1. What is drag force?

Drag force is a type of resistance force that acts on an object as it moves through a fluid, such as air or water. It is caused by the friction between the object and the fluid it is moving through.

2. How does drag force affect the motion of a particle?

Drag force can slow down the motion of a particle by decreasing its velocity. This is because the force of drag acts in the opposite direction of the particle's motion, causing it to lose kinetic energy.

3. What factors affect the amount of drag force on a particle?

The amount of drag force on a particle depends on several factors, including the object's shape, size, and velocity, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid it is moving through.

4. How is drag force calculated?

The formula for calculating drag force is FD = 1/2 * ρ * v2 * A * CD, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and CD is the drag coefficient, which depends on the object's shape and surface properties.

5. How can we analyze the motion of a particle under drag force?

To analyze the motion of a particle under drag force, we can use mathematical models and equations, such as the equations of motion and the drag force formula. We can also use experiments and simulations to observe and measure the effects of drag force on the particle's motion.