Check My Physics Work: Visual Aid Provided

In summary, the conversation is about solving physics equations involving velocity over time and finding the differential equation for an object's motion. The original poster is looking for help with their homework and someone suggests checking their solution by deriving it with respect to time. The poster is unsure of what is meant by "giving the right side of the equation." A sample solution is provided for reference.
UrbanXrisis
Could someone please check my work http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/phy002.gif [Broken]?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Urban, what was the problem with the solution in the other thread?

I couldn't really follow what was going on. I didn't know there was a solution. In physics, I was given 2 formulas:

dv/dt=-g+bv/m <- this being the differentiable equatioin
and also:
v=mg/b(1-e(-bt/m)) <- which showed the velocity at any time

My homework asks to "solve" for the equations but I'm in high school so it only expects me to jump from

dv/dt=-g+bv/m
to
v=mg/b(1-e(-bt/m))

without actaully solving it
From that, they ask questions like...what if the drag force = -bv^2 and they change it. Then they tell me to find the differential equation for the object's motion. I THINK that all I have to do is sub in the numbers but I'm not quite sure. Cyclovenom, you did a great job but I'm only on the basics :rolleyes:

Urban if you want to check your solution then derivate it with respect to time, and it should give the right side of the equation.

what does that mean? "give the right side of the equation"? Do I have the wrong equations?

For example:

For this differential equation

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = ay - b [/tex]

its solution is: [itex] (y_{o} = 0) [/itex]

[tex] y = \frac{b}{a} - \frac{b}{a}e^{at} [/tex]

so if we substitute in the differential equation we should get both sides the same.

[tex] \frac{d(\frac{b}{a} - \frac{b}{a}e^{at})}{dt} = a(\frac{b}{a} - \frac{b}{a}e^{at}) - b [/tex]

we get:

[tex] be^{at} = be^{at} [/tex]

so that's the solution for our differential equation.

1. How do I know if my physics work is correct?

One way to check your physics work is to use a visual aid, such as a graph or diagram, to compare your results to the expected outcome. This can help identify any errors or miscalculations in your work.

2. What should I do if my results do not match the expected outcome?

If your results do not match the expected outcome, you should review your calculations and equations to ensure they are correct. You may also want to consult with a teacher or fellow colleague for assistance.

3. Can I use any type of visual aid to check my physics work?

Yes, you can use any type of visual aid that is relevant to the specific concept or problem you are working on. This can include graphs, diagrams, tables, or even simulations or animations.

4. How can a visual aid help me understand my physics work better?

Visual aids can help you visualize the problem and its solution, making it easier to understand and identify any errors. They can also help you see the relationship between different variables and how they affect the outcome.

5. Is it necessary to use a visual aid to check my physics work?

No, it is not necessary to use a visual aid, but it can be helpful in identifying errors and understanding the problem better. However, it is important to also double-check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy.