1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drag forces

1. Nov 6, 2004 #1
    Could someone please check my work here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

Urban, what was the problem with the solution in the other thread?
  4. Nov 6, 2004 #3
    I couldn't really follow what was going on. I didn't know there was a solution. In physics, I was given 2 formulas:

dv/dt=-g+bv/m <- this being the differentiable equatioin
    and also:
    v=mg/b(1-e(-bt/m)) <- which showed the velocity at any time

My homework asks to "solve" for the equations but I'm in high school so it only expects me to jump from

without actaully solving it
    From that, they ask questions like...what if the drag force = -bv^2 and they change it. Then they tell me to find the differential equation for the object's motion. I THINK that all I have to do is sub in the numbers but I'm not quite sure. Cyclovenom, you did a great job but I'm only on the basics :rolleyes:
  5. Nov 6, 2004 #4

Homework Helper

Urban if you want to check your solution then derivate it with respect to time, and it should give the right side of the equation.
  6. Nov 6, 2004 #5
    what does that mean? "give the right side of the equation"? Do I have the wrong equations?
  7. Nov 6, 2004 #6

Homework Helper

For example:

For this differential equation

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = ay - b [/tex]

its solution is: [itex] (y_{o} = 0) [/itex]

[tex] y = \frac{b}{a} - \frac{b}{a}e^{at} [/tex]

so if we substitute in the differential equation we should get both sides the same.

[tex] \frac{d(\frac{b}{a} - \frac{b}{a}e^{at})}{dt} = a(\frac{b}{a} - \frac{b}{a}e^{at}) - b [/tex]

we get:

[tex] be^{at} = be^{at} [/tex]

so that's the solution for our differential equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?