1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drag forces

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    If I wanted to make a graph of height versus time for an object under the effects of air resistance av+bv^2 and thrown with a given initial speed, how would I go about doing that? I was also hoping to get a y versus x graph for a projectile under the same drag, but I presume I could find x versus t the same way I end up finding y versus t and then treating the two like a parameterized curve.

I thought about using ma = av+bv^2-mg and taking the integral twice to get height as a function of time, but my limited calculus skills are failing at that. Even simplifying to just bv^2 seems to be too much for me. Is this the best way to do it? Is there a numerical way to do it? (I've never done integrals numerically on a computer or anything)

In general, I don't really know how to tackle these kinds of messy integrals. Are there any resources I could learn from?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

mdv/dt = av+bv^2 - mg

so:[tex]\int \frac{mdv}{av+bv^2-mg} = \int dt[/tex]... then find the constant of integration from the fact that v(0)=u.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/2372332

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook