Plotting Height vs Time for an Object Under Air Resistance

In summary, the conversation is about creating graphs for an object under the effects of air resistance and initial speed. The speaker mentions using integrals to find the function for height as a function of time, but is struggling with the complex calculations. They also inquire about other methods and resources for tackling these types of integrals.
Opus_723
If I wanted to make a graph of height versus time for an object under the effects of air resistance av+bv^2 and thrown with a given initial speed, how would I go about doing that? I was also hoping to get a y versus x graph for a projectile under the same drag, but I presume I could find x versus t the same way I end up finding y versus t and then treating the two like a parameterized curve.

I thought about using ma = av+bv^2-mg and taking the integral twice to get height as a function of time, but my limited calculus skills are failing at that. Even simplifying to just bv^2 seems to be too much for me. Is this the best way to do it? Is there a numerical way to do it? (I've never done integrals numerically on a computer or anything)

In general, I don't really know how to tackle these kinds of messy integrals. Are there any resources I could learn from?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mdv/dt = av+bv^2 - mg

so:[tex]\int \frac{mdv}{av+bv^2-mg} = \int dt[/tex]... then find the constant of integration from the fact that v(0)=u.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/2372332

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of plotting height vs time for an object under air resistance?

The purpose of plotting height vs time for an object under air resistance is to visualize the change in height of an object over time as it moves through a medium with air resistance. This can provide valuable insights into the motion and behavior of the object.

2. What factors affect the height vs time plot for an object under air resistance?

Several factors can affect the height vs time plot for an object under air resistance, including the mass and shape of the object, the density and viscosity of the medium, and the initial velocity and angle of the object's motion.

3. How does air resistance impact the height vs time plot for an object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact the height vs time plot for an object by slowing down its rate of descent and causing it to lose height at a faster rate. This is due to the force of air resistance acting against the object's motion.

4. Can the height vs time plot for an object under air resistance be used to predict its final height?

No, the height vs time plot for an object under air resistance cannot accurately predict its final height. This is because air resistance can vary depending on the object's motion and the conditions of the medium, making it difficult to predict the exact amount of height lost over time.

5. How does the angle of an object's motion affect the height vs time plot under air resistance?

The angle of an object's motion can have a significant impact on the height vs time plot under air resistance. A steeper angle can result in a faster descent and a steeper slope on the plot, while a shallower angle can result in a slower descent and a shallower slope on the plot.