1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drag racing

1. Jun 1, 2004 #1
    i have a few formula for my physics assignment but i want to know the best way to set it out and what other formula i can use.

i already have the formula f=m*a and a=(v-u)/t.
    i just really need the marks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2004 #2
    Perhaps if you described what the assignment requires we would be of more help? You probably need a good grasp of mechanics, and that includes the formulas you list as well as some more. Here are just a few:

[tex]x(t) = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
    [tex]v(t) = v_0 + at[/tex]
    [tex]v = \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
    [tex]a = \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]
    [tex]\Sigma F = ma[/tex]

This might also be helpful:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#motcon

4. Jun 1, 2004 #3
    s = ut + 1/2 a t^2

For drag racing, u is zero. s is 1/4 mile (usually) (402.336 metres) so you get

402.336 = a/2 * t^2

t = sqrt(804.672 / a)

So you see that 1g (g = 9.81) acceleration will give you a 9 second run
    or 5g would give a 4 second run

Real dragsters don't accelerate at a constant rate, but these formulae are ok as approximations.

5. Jun 1, 2004 #4
    You assume that the car accelerates not only constantly, but also throughout the race. Who's to say the car doesn't top at some value of V and proceeds with no acceleration at all?

6. Jun 1, 2004 #5

krab

Science Advisor

Usually, car is first traction-limited, in which case, applied force F is constant:
    [tex]mdv/dt=F-Cv^2[/tex]
    At some point, it becomes power -limited with P constant:
    [tex]mdv/dt=P/v-Cv^2[/tex]
    C is aerodynamic drag coefficient. Aero drag is much more important than rolling resistance, so I ignore a [itex]C_2v[/itex] term.
    BTW, you will notice that C can be derived from top speed [itex]v_\infty[/itex] (where dv/dt=0):
    [tex]C=P/v_\infty^3[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2004
  7. Jun 3, 2004 #6
    thank you this helps

8. Jun 3, 2004 #7
    when that happens you
    A shift a gear
    or if in top gear

B change final drive gears

but very few cars will do that in top gear
    ie reach top speed in less than a 1/4 mile

9. Jun 6, 2004 #8
    ray b has it. If the car reaches maximum speed before it hits the traps, the mechanics will work the car over by changing the gears in the rear-end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook