Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dragonboat Paddling Techniques

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    I have been searching for information on Dragonboat paddling techniques and came upon a previous article on this site regarding wake-riding, which was informative, so I thought you might be able to help me out.

Basically, I would like to know what the optimum paddling technique would be , for a dragonboat paddler, going downstream with a fairly fast following current.

Would it be short and fast, or long and measured? Would there be a lesser requirement as regards power? Maybe long and fast? Maybe short and powerful?

This would probably apply to all downstream paddling, upstream is simple in that sustained power is the basic requirement.

I do hope someone out there can help or even just point me in the right direction, to where I could obtain this information.

At present I'm paddling upstream against an incredibly strong current and getting nowhere.

Thanks Ben Fido
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2
    I've always found that when it comes to paddling dragonboats, the winning technique is to fill the boat with a ragtag company of ornery, bearded lummoxes (lummoxi?) & either promise them sacks filled with gold or else whip the snot out of them. Good luck, shield-brother!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?