Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drainage systems

1. Jul 7, 2008 #1
    Hi All
    one of my cline has recently changed his double drain sink with a single drain sink.
    I now need to redo all the plumbing to allow for single drain usage.
    I am having a hard time trying to find what is the proper way to install the disposal and dishwasher to a single drain,
    and at the same time what is the proper layout of the PVC piping.

we will highly appreciate your feed back.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2008 #2
    By disposal do you mean a garbage disposal? If so; connect the exit from dishwasher to the disposal, making sure it makes a loop higher than entry point, otherwise it will siphon back into dishwasher. Then connect the outlet from garbage disposal to a P Trap and then to main drain, ensuring a downward slope.

If there is no garbage disposal, then there is a special fitting that you can use to connect dishwasher to plumbing.

I did mine this winter and I just set it up the way it was suppose to be, and then took digital pictures of it to the local hardware store and they told me what I needed and how to do it. Also there are sites like DIY that have information.

Hope this helps.
  4. Jul 7, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

Most dishwashers have a hose that tees directly into the single drain, which is the same drain line the disposal is connected to. Just make sure the hose has a loop high enough to prevent backflow into the dishwasher.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?