Installing Single Drain Sink Systems | Plumbing Advice

• Thread starter james.parera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary: A standard B149.1-05 tells you how to install a disposal/dishwasher. The dishwasher drain hose should be tied up high to the underside of the counter, then go down to the inlet of the disposal, whi
james.parera
Hi All
one of my cline has recently changed his double drain sink with a single drain sink.
I now need to redo all the plumbing to allow for single drain usage.
I am having a hard time trying to find what is the proper way to install the disposal and dishwasher to a single drain,
and at the same time what is the proper layout of the PVC piping.

we will highly appreciate your feed back.
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
By disposal do you mean a garbage disposal? If so; connect the exit from dishwasher to the disposal, making sure it makes a loop higher than entry point, otherwise it will siphon back into dishwasher. Then connect the outlet from garbage disposal to a P Trap and then to main drain, ensuring a downward slope.

If there is no garbage disposal, then there is a special fitting that you can use to connect dishwasher to plumbing.

I did mine this winter and I just set it up the way it was suppose to be, and then took digital pictures of it to the local hardware store and they told me what I needed and how to do it. Also there are sites like DIY that have information.

Hope this helps.

james.parera said:
Hi All
one of my cline has recently changed his double drain sink with a single drain sink.
I now need to redo all the plumbing to allow for single drain usage.
I am having a hard time trying to find what is the proper way to install the disposal and dishwasher to a single drain,
and at the same time what is the proper layout of the PVC piping.

we will highly appreciate your feed back.
Thanks in advance.

Most dishwashers have a hose that tees directly into the single drain, which is the same drain line the disposal is connected to. Just make sure the hose has a loop high enough to prevent backflow into the dishwasher.

CS

1. How do I choose the right size single drain sink for my kitchen?

The size of your single drain sink should be based on the size of your kitchen and your specific needs. Generally, a standard single drain sink is 33 inches long, 22 inches wide, and 9 inches deep. However, you can also find smaller and larger options to fit your space.

2. Do I need to hire a professional plumber to install a single drain sink system?

If you have experience with plumbing and feel comfortable with the installation process, you can install a single drain sink system yourself. However, it is recommended to hire a professional plumber, especially if you are not familiar with plumbing or have a complex installation.

3. Can I install a garbage disposal with a single drain sink system?

Yes, you can install a garbage disposal with a single drain sink system. However, you will need to make sure that the sink is compatible with a garbage disposal and that the plumbing can support it.

4. What tools and materials do I need to install a single drain sink system?

To install a single drain sink system, you will need a sink, faucet, drain kit, plumber's putty, channel-lock pliers, adjustable wrench, and pipe wrench. You may also need additional tools depending on the specific installation requirements.

5. How long does it take to install a single drain sink system?

The installation time for a single drain sink system can vary depending on your experience and the complexity of the installation. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-3 hours to install a single drain sink system.