1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drats, my brain hurts!

1. Oct 21, 2005 #1
    I need some direction with two homework problems.

1) A 215kg crate rests on a surface that is inclined above the horizontal at an angle of 26.1 degrees. A horizontal force, 528 N, is required to start the create moving down the incline. What is the coefficient of static friction between the crate and incline?

I know that static friction = Frictional Force / Normal Force

Is the normal force for the crate = 215 * 9.8 * sin 26.1

Is the force that is required to move it down the ramp = 528/cos 26.1

I'm getting .63429 for the static friction, but the answer is supposed to be 0.884

So what am I missing?

2) An arrow, starting from rest, leaves the bow with a speed of 26.4 m/s. If the average force exerted on the arrow by the bow was increased 3 times and the arrow was accelerated over the same distance, then with what speed would the arrow leave the bow?

I'm thinking that I would use two equations that solve for x and set them equal to each other, but I don't think I have enough information.

Thanks,

Serena

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Serena,

For the first problem, the normal force will be reduced since the applied horizontal force has a component normal to the incline and must be accounted for.

In the second problem, recognize that work = force X distance and that is what imparts energy (or speed) to the arrow.

4. Oct 22, 2005 #3
    Thanks, it works now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?