How do I solve these physics problems?

• Thread starter Serena_Greene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the first problem involves finding the coefficient of static friction between a crate and an inclined surface using the equation for static friction. The normal force is reduced due to the applied horizontal force. For the second problem, the key is to recognize that work equals force times distance and is responsible for imparting energy or speed to the arrow. Increasing the average force exerted on the arrow by 3 times will result in a higher speed for the arrow.
Serena_Greene
I need some direction with two homework problems.

1) A 215kg crate rests on a surface that is inclined above the horizontal at an angle of 26.1 degrees. A horizontal force, 528 N, is required to start the create moving down the incline. What is the coefficient of static friction between the crate and incline?

I know that static friction = Frictional Force / Normal Force

Is the normal force for the crate = 215 * 9.8 * sin 26.1

Is the force that is required to move it down the ramp = 528/cos 26.1

I'm getting .63429 for the static friction, but the answer is supposed to be 0.884

So what am I missing?

2) An arrow, starting from rest, leaves the bow with a speed of 26.4 m/s. If the average force exerted on the arrow by the bow was increased 3 times and the arrow was accelerated over the same distance, then with what speed would the arrow leave the bow?

I'm thinking that I would use two equations that solve for x and set them equal to each other, but I don't think I have enough information.

Thanks,

Serena

Physics news on Phys.org
Serena,

For the first problem, the normal force will be reduced since the applied horizontal force has a component normal to the incline and must be accounted for.

In the second problem, recognize that work = force X distance and that is what imparts energy (or speed) to the arrow.

Thanks, it works now.

1. What causes brain pain?

Brain pain can be caused by a variety of factors, including stress, lack of sleep, dehydration, and certain medical conditions such as migraines or brain tumors.

2. Is brain pain a serious issue?

In most cases, brain pain is not a serious issue and can be relieved with rest and over-the-counter pain medication. However, if the pain is severe or accompanied by other symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention.

3. Can brain pain be prevented?

While some causes of brain pain are unavoidable, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk. This includes getting enough sleep, managing stress, staying hydrated, and maintaining a healthy diet and exercise routine.

4. When should I see a doctor for brain pain?

If you experience severe or persistent brain pain, or if it is accompanied by other symptoms such as dizziness, numbness, or difficulty speaking, it is important to see a doctor. This could be a sign of a more serious medical condition.

5. How is brain pain treated?

The treatment for brain pain depends on the underlying cause. In most cases, over-the-counter pain medication and rest will provide relief. However, if the pain is caused by a medical condition, your doctor may prescribe specific medication or recommend other treatments such as physical therapy or lifestyle changes.